I love a good taco salad. What I don’t love is that when ordering one it usually can end up feeding a small village. Why do folks feel the need to make such a monster-sized dish? Our bodies cannot sustain or should not sustain that much food at one time. Don’t even get me talking about the waste and all those hungry people that would kill for a fourth of a serving of that monster salad. This recipe for Grilled Chicken Taco Salad is not super-sized but rather simply served.
We have been digging on salads for the past 8 months. I mean like crazy digging on. We usually have one every evening if not for lunch too. One of the great things about living in the Bay Area is the abundance of amazing produce all year long, so it has been easy to nosh on salads of all sorts. Adding a protein such as meat just makes it even easier to enjoy as a main instead of a lonely side.
Summer is here or at least in most of the US it is, and it is time to eat lighter meals during these blistering evenings (a girl can wish). I like to take opportunities to make most of our meals start out on the grill, and this recipe is no exception. After giving a chicken breast a good olive oil and taco seasoning rub down, I grilled it until juicy and moist. I like the heartiness of romaine or baby gems when making a salad a main dish. For this recipe, I tossed the romaine with fresh summer corn, black beans (can never have enough protein), tomatoes, red onions and radishes, lots of radishes. The dressing is tangy and spicy, and ever so simple; sour cream, chipotle paste and lime juice. Have you tried Chipotle paste? It has quickly become one of my favorite kitchen ingredients. This wouldn’t be a taco salad without the tortillas, instead of serving everything in a big fried tortilla shell, I added crispy strips of corn tortillas.
Definitely a refreshing and light spin on an otherwise heavy meal. One that will take you through the summer, and will be lighter on your waistline too.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. You can use the hashtag #chezuseats and then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table!
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 teasspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite taco seasoning
- 4 corn tortills (we use the slider size) thinly slice
- 2 cups chopped romaine or little gems
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly slices
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 8 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chipotle paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat grill.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Rub olive oil into chicken breast along with taco seasoning. Grill until chicken reaches 165. Remove from the grill and let cool. It will continue cooking, and will reach the desired chicken temperature of 170.
- Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet, drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and bake in the oven for 5 – 6 minutes until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Combine the sour cream, chipotole paste and lime juice in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Combine lettuce, beans, corn, and red onion in a large bowl. Gently toss.
- Shred the chicken breast.
- Lay the lettuce mixture onto a serving platter.
- Place the chicken meat along with the tomatoes, radishes and avocados onto the top of the lettuce.
- Drizzle with the sour cream dressing and sprinkle the top with the tortilla strips.