Spring in the air, and Mother’s Day around the corner. I am thinking about this savory recipe for Mushroom Crepes with Gruyere Béchamel Sauce. Wouldn’t it be perfect for a special brunch? If our mothers lived nearby they would definitely be spoiled at our home while enjoying this recipe along with something bubbly!
What makes this such a great recipe is that it meatless, and all the wonderfully rich flavor comes from mushrooms. Lots of cremini mushrooms. It is really easy to replace meat entirely or to adjust half meat and half mushrooms in any recipe using The Blend method, which we do more often than not, and no one will ever know.
This particular time we kept the recipe vegetarian and upped the number of mushrooms by blending half of them and slicing some for a little added texture. You can use your favorite savory crepe recipe or do as I did and buy pre-made ones at the grocery store.
- Save time by using pre-made crepes from the grocery store.
Recipe: Mushroom Crepes with Gruyere Bechamel Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups packed spinach, washed and dried
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 crepes*
- Fresh thyme sprigs, as garnish – optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place a large frying pan over medium low heat and add the olive oil. Once slightly warmed add the yellow onion. Stir and cook until soft; about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and dried thyme. Stir again. Lower heat to the lowest setting on your stove.
- Place 3/4 of the mushrooms into a food processor and finely chop. Slice the remaining 1/4 of the mushrooms. Add the mushrooms to the onion/garlic mixture and cook, stirring often for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the spinach and cook just until wilted over medium low heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place the butter into a medium saucepan over low heat and melt. Whisk in the flour, then slowly pour in the milk. Stir over medium low heat until slightly thickened.
- Add the cheese, continue whisking until melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Place a crepe into a baking dish and fill with some of the mushroom filling, roll up, and then repeat. You can place the crepes into individual baking dishes or a large baking dish.
- Drizzle with some the gruyere béchamel sauce.
- Bake for 15 – 25 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and lightly golden.
More Mushroom Recipes
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by the Mushroom Channel. Thank you for supporting brands we love and believe in, which makes Chez Us possible. All opinions are always 100% our own. To find some other great Mushroom recipes head over to the Mushroom Channel. You can also find them on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.