Middle Eastern-inspired meals are a favorite of ours, as they tend to be loaded with flavors of faraway places. Smoky chilies, rich turmeric, deep saffrons, crisp cloves, cinnamon, and mace, in fact, too many to list. Harissa which is a spicy chili sauce or powder is one of our favorite seasonings when cooking with lamb, and it only seemed appropriate to use it with this slow cooker Harissa Lamb Tacos with Pomegranate Salsa.
I channeled my inner Andy when deciding on this recipe, and reached for the slow cooker. I have to admit the slow cooker is becoming my new best friend in the kitchen during these busy weeks when all I want is simple but comfortable food. After seasoning the lamb with harissa and Maldon salt, I browned all sides before slowly cooking for most of the day. The spiciness of Harissa cuts through the fat of the lamb leaving it very flavorful. They two were really made for each other, just my humble opinion.
The star of this taco recipe is the Pomegranate Salsa. I wanted to use seasonal ingredients when developing the salsa and immediately was drawn to vibrant pomegranates, which I tend to use very often during the winter months. Now, do not turn up your nose! Mixed with smokey jalapeños, cool cucumbers, and cilantro, it really is a show stopper. I could not keep my testing spoon away from the bowl! Top spicy Harissa scented lamb with it, and you have a winning taco. In fact, a taco that is on the fast track to becoming our new favorite taco recipe!
Happy Taco Tuesday!
Recipe: Slow Cooker Harissa Lamb Tacos with Pomegranate Salsa
- 2 pounds lamb shoulder
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1 tablespoon Maldon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 cucumber, cut into small dice
- 1 jalapeno
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into small dice
- handful cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime
- Maldon salt
- flour tortillas
- cojita cheese
- Mix the harissa and salt together in a small bowl.
- If you are using a slow cooker with a removable insert for stovetop browning, then place over medium heat on the stovetop. If not, then place a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- Pat the harissa mixture into the lamb shoulder, then brown on all sides until golden brown.
- Add the onions slices, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Either place the insert into the slow cooker or pour everything from the frying pan into your slow cooker.
- Add the broth.
- Place on low heat and cook for 5 hours.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and place them into a medium-sized bowl.
- Over a gas flame charred the jalapeno, then set aside to cool.
- Once cooled cut into small dice.
- Add the cucumber, red onion, jalapeno, and stir. Squeeze the lime over the mixture and stir again.
- Season to taste with salt, then set aside until ready to serve. Just be serving stir in the cilantro.
- Once the meat is finished cooking, remove the bones then shred into bite-sized pieces. Be sure to reserve the liquid as well as the onions. I stir the onions into the meat and drizzle with some of the leftover broth to add moisture and flavor.
- Warm the tortillas.
- To serve place a tortilla on a serving plate, top with some lamb, pomegranate salsa, and a sprinkle of cheese.