We have been making tacos, a lot, the past few months. In fact, they have become a regular go-to meal when we need something quick and easy. You can just about wrap anything up in a tortilla, right. This recipe for roasted cod tacos just happens to be an all time favorite.
Since we have been loving tacos so much, we have decided to start a regular feature on Chez Us, called Taco Tuesday. Yes, we have been making tacos that often. I think our past trip to Mexico really inspired us to make start making them at home on a regular basis. After all, they are pretty simple, not to mention we can be very creative with fixin’s. That being said, we are going to try really hard to post a new taco recipe once a week or at least every other week. There is a widget off to the right side of the site showcasing other taco recipes as well as a Pinterest Page dedicated to the love of the taco.
Whenever I see true Alaskan cod at the market, I stock up as it comes in handy for easy dinners. Not only do I get a kick out of salting it for later use, but it is great in this recipe for roasted cod tacos. Cod has a mild flavor which is not overly fishy, and other ingredients such as this spicy slaw go really well with it. Roasting cod in the oven, with simply salt and pepper, makes this an easy go to recipe. No fuss of getting the grill ready; saving those tacos for summer time. In fact, with this recipe you can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes!
Roasted Cod Tacos
* serves two super hungry people or four normal eaters
- 1 pound cod
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 4 chile pequin pods
- kosher salt
- 1 small green cabbage
- 1 large carrot, scrubbed clean, peel left on (it is good for ya)
- 3 green onions, finely minced
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 avocado
- corn tortillas
- Place olive oil, cilantro, chile pequin and salt into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Place the fish and the above sauce into a ziploc bag, seal and mix around. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Thinly slice the cabbage; place into a mixing bowl.
- Grate the carrot into the cabbage, and the green onion.
- Juice the lime into the cabbage mixture, then drizzle in olive oil. Toss with your hands.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Place the cod into a baking dish, and roast for 15 – 20 minutes until flaky.
- Warm the tortillas, and thinly slice the avocado.
- Place some fish on a warm tortilla, top with some slaw and avocado slices.