Remember those the beautiful packages of lamb we received from Lava Lake Ranch a couple months ago? We made a Middle Eastern inspired stew as well as citrus herb crusted lamb chops. Well, we had one more package from the fine folks at Lava Lake Ranch, a beautiful top round roast. Top round roast is the most tender cut from the hind loin and is very tender. Annie promised it was going to be very lean as well as flavorful, and warranted this lovely recipe for Dijon Crusted Lamb Roast with Mint Sauce.
I wanted to keep it simple. As well I wanted to use it for an Easter inspired meal. I love lamb, cooked in many ways; but, I do not like a lamb that is served with the traditional lamb jelly. Some things should not go with such a beautiful piece of meat and this is one of them. My friend, Evelyn, makes an outstanding sauce for grilled salmon and I decided to dissect her recipe and incorporate it for this lamb roast. I made a paste out of dijon and panko and patted it over the entire roast and then I slowly roasted the lamb. During the last 15 minutes of roasting, I added some baby carrots and took the juices from the meat and gently poured them back over the meat and the carrots. While the meat was cooking I made a sauce out of shallots and fresh mint. The lamb was incredibly moist and juicy. I love the green and slightly gamey taste. The dijon crust and the minty sauce really complimented the naturalness of this lamb. It left us wanting more and lucky for us we had left-overs!
This dish would be perfect for Easter – served with fresh asparagus or baby peas. If you would like to serve your family a beautiful and flavorful lamb for Easter, Lava Lakes Ranch is offering free shipping on orders over $100 right now. I am more than impressed with the quality of their lamb – it is all 100% grass-fed, never placed in feedlots, never given hormones or antibiotics. It is definitely the best lamb we have eaten.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Dijon Crusted Lamb Roast with Mint Sauce
- 1 1/2 lb top round lamb roast, pat the meat with a paper towel to remove some moisture
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup dijon
- 1 cup panko
- 1/4 cup packed mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon seeded mustard
- 1 small shallot
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat oven to 325.
- In a roasting pan that can go from stove to oven, slowly heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Combine the panko and Dijon to make a paste. Gently pat all over the lamb.
- Brown all sides of the meat until lightly browned.
- Put the pan into the oven and let roast until a thermometer reads 135 degrees F from rare – about 40 minutes.
- While the meat is roasting combine mint, shallots, mustard and vinegar and process until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil.
- Once the meat is cooked remove it from the oven and let sit for about 10 – 15 minutes. Slice thinly.