Oh 2014, where are you going? I cannot believe it is May, nor can I believe the 7 year anniversary of Chez Us is literally around the corner. To kick off the celebration, I whipped up the perfect blood orange margarita, which happens to be the first thing I blogged about. More about that to come …..
It was hot, hot, hot the other day in Oakland, and we really needed to cool off. I stumbled upon a few of the last blood oranges in our market, and decided it was a great day to cool off over margaritas. Since limes are scarce this year, I am all about using other available citrus during margarita season, which I think is officially begins May 1. Don’t worry if you cannot find blood oranges in your market, regular oranges work too. At times I can find blood orange concentrate in the juice or frozen juice aisles, so be sure to look there, as well. What really kicks this margarita up a notch is the addition of ginger, as it gives it a subtle spiciness, where people always wonder what that secret ingredient is.
With the weekend here, as well as Cinco de Mayo around the corner, or to help Chez Us celebrate 7 years, why not whip up a batch or two. Scroll down for more margarita ideas.
Recipe: Perfect Blood Orange Margarita
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger, I use a microplane
- 1 cup fresh blood orange juice (you can use regular oranges)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice – I am using Santa Cruz pure lime juice until limes return to the market
- 10 tablespoons tequila, we like silver, as well you can add more if you dare
- 2 tablespoon Cointreau
- Cracked ice
- Put the blood orange and lime juice into a shaker, add the ginger, tequila and ice.
- Strain into a glass over ice.
- Float Cointreau on the top.
- Sip don’t glup.
More Margaritas to wet your whistle:
- Strawberry Rhubarb Margarita – Chez Us
- Mango Margarita with Chile Salt and Lime – Foodie Crush
- Citrus Margarita with Lemon, Lime and Ginger Rim – A Thought for Food
- Prickly Pear Margarita – Pink Patisserie
- Watermelon Margarita – Sweet Life Bake