I love playing with new recipes. Taking flavors that
I we love, and making something delicious to enjoy. Lenny often jokes that he never gets to eat the same thing twice, as I am always hungry for something new. Not the case with these shrimp tacos, which we have been enjoying often!
Sweet shrimp (use fresh, not frozen) are marinaded in a dry rub made with two of our favorite chili peppers, the guajillo and chili pequin peppers as well as a little salt before being stir-fried quickly. Guajillo peppers are mild, slightly sweet, while the chili pequin peppers are the opposite, they are smokey and bursting with a fiery spice that will warm you up. Both flavors really compliment succulent, fresh shrimp, and all that was needed to bring the dish together was creamy avocado, some chipotle cream and pickled red onions!
Recipe: Shrimp Tacos
* serves two really hungry people or 4 when a salad or side is included
- 3 teaspoons ground guajillo pepper
- 5 chili pequin pods or more if you like a lot of heat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil (withstands high heat)
- 1 pound peeled and divined shrimp
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 teaspoons ground chipotle pepper
- pickled red onion salad
- 2 avocado
- 2 limes
- handful of cilantro, washed and stems removed
- Place the chills and salt into a food processor or use a mortar to grind finely.
- Sprinkle over the shrimp, along with the 1 tablespoon of the oil and toss well. Set aside for 45 minutes.
- Make the pickled red onion salad and set aside.
- Slice the avocado and limes into thin slices. Remove the stems from the cilantro.
- Mix the sour cream with the chipotle pepper and set aside.
- Warm the tortillas on a griddle or in the microwave.
- Preheat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the shrimp and cook until pink; about 3 – 5 minutes depending on how hot your stove runs.
- To serve place a tortilla on a plate, top with avocado, cilantro, shrimp, a drizzle of chipotle cream and a squeeze of lime juice and some pickled red onions.