We are really thrilled let you in on a little secret. We have partnered with Whole Foods and Clover Stornetta to help spread awareness of their Non- GMO project. It is going to be so delicious and fun to make this recipe. In the meantime from now until December 27th, we will be sharing more information about Clover Stornetta as well as sharing a recipe using their fine products, such as this creamy homemade mascarpone cheese.
Clover Organic Farms is located in Northern California, and they are the first dairy west of the Mississippi to offer rBST-free milk. More great news is that this family owned and operated farm has received their Non-GMO verification for eight of their organic dairy products.
The following is a list of their first Non-GMO Products:
- Organic Vitamin D Milk
- Organic Low Fat Milk
- Organic Reduced Fat Milk
- Organic Fat Free Milk
- Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- Organic Half and Half
- Organic Low Fat Lactose Free Milk
- Organic Reduced Fat Lactose Free Milk
To kick this delicious contest off we made homemade marscarpone cheese. Yes, homemade and I want to start of saying that making mascarpone cheese at home is not only rewarding, but it is easy. Most home cooks that I have talked to only use mascarpone cheese in a beloved tiramisu recipe. I use mascarpone cheese for both sweet and savory recipes. It can take a pizza or flatbread from good to outrageous. As well it is great in a base for homemade ice cream or lightly sweetened as a topping for pies or cakes. Really, only your imagination is limiting when it comes to the many uses for mascarpone cheese.
Homemade Mascarpone Cheese
- 1 pint Clover Organic Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Pour the whipping cream into a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Over very low heat, and stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, bring the temperature to 190. This will take about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Return to the stovetop over very low heat, stirring constantly and keeping the temperature to 190, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the stove and set aside until cooled to room temperature, about 2 hours.
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a large mixing bowl and line with cheese cloth. Gently pour in the cream mixture.
- Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, gather the loose ends of the cheesecloth and gently twist to remove any liquid. Tie closed with kitchen twine.
- Return to the refrigerator for another 24 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and spoon the mascarpone cheese into a small call jar, cover and place in the refrigerator.
- Use within 7 days.
** Disclaimer Whole Foods compensated us for our time, but all opinions expressed are our own.