One of my favorite meals, when we are in Paris, is the authentic Lamb Shawarma. I dream about it the entire flight over. Since I could not wait until I head back to Paris I decided to make some using leftover roasted lamb.
This may be about the easiest recipe I have ever made or shared on Chez Us. It is really about gathering the ingredients while using roasted lamb leftovers. Remember that gorgeous boneless leg of lamb I recently cooked? I ended up getting four delicious meals out of that recipe. This is just one of them, and the others you will have to wait until I roast another lamb.
In France, they use fried potatoes or eggplant in the shawarmas as well as some lettuce. I opted to leave the fried food out. Instead I was heavy on using herbs. We like a smear of hummus along with a garlicky yogurt dressing on lamb shawarma but you can go either way. Make it yours!
You could say this recipe for Lamb Shawarma is not like the ones we enjoy in Paris, but I guarantee it is just as delicious!
Make ribbons out of the cucumber using a vegetable peeler as the shawarma will roll up easier.
Recipe: Lamb Shawarma
** makes two shawarmas and how much of this and that you use is up to you
- 1/2 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- roasted leg of lamb leftovers, sliced thinly, just enough to cover a lavash
- a handful of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 cucumber, use a vegetable peeler to make ribbons
- plain hummus
- fresh mint leaves only
- fresh cilantro leaves only
- fresh oregano leaves only
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- Place the yogurt, olive oil and garlic in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir well and set aside.
- Lightly reheat the lamb the oven to 300. Only enough to heat, as you do not want to overcook the meat.
- I use a stovetop grill to warm the bread and add slight grill marks. You can also lightly warm in the oven for a few minutes.
- Spread hummus onto the lavash along with a smear of harissa. All depending on your taste.
- Top with warm lamb and cucumber ribbons, then scatter the cherry tomatoes over the top along with the herbs. It is all by taste and how much you want to fill the shawarma with.
- Top with the yogurt dressing.
More Shawarma Recipes