I am not one for complaining, but it has been a hellish couple of weeks, and dammit I am over it. On top of normal everyday life, such as work, shooting and writing Chez Us, we both got sick. I cannot remember being that sick in a long time. It was only a cold, but it ran it’s ugly course and hung on for two solid weeks. Thanks for ruining my life or at least slowing it way down, COLD! The only good thing that came out of it was this recipe for Lentil Tacos with Tomato Radish Salsa.
Now, nothing stops me when I am sick or injured, just ask Lenny as it drives him to crazy town. I have been known to be home sick, and bake up a storm (happened when I was a kid), or traveling in Paris with an outrageously sprained ankle, but I still trek a million miles wandering the city. Nothing stops me. I wish when I got sick or run down that my craving to eat stopped, temporarily. But, it doesn’t. The only thing with the recent sickness was that I didn’t feel like going to the store or leaving the house, at all. I just wanted to hunker down. Hence, I cleaned out the pantry and the fridge, and some pretty damn good meals came out of it. It truly is amazing what happens when one has very little to work with but good ingredients and creativity.
That being said, I am pretty sure this is right up there with being one of my new favorite tacos. It is loaded with lentils, spicy tomatoes and radishes, micro greens and a dollop of avocado. We tend to lean towards spicy food when we are sick, and this recipe which includes a tomato radish salsa was mildly spicy, which really helped our colds. The micro greens added a wonderful crunch, and since, we have become addicted, adding them to everything. All good things that help the body mend its self, while being delicious are included in this week’s taco recipe.
We hope you get as excited as we have over this recipe Lentil Tacos with Tomato Radish Salsa. Damn it was good.
Recipe: Lentil Tacos with Tomato Radish Salsa
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon serrano pepper, more or less depending on heat you like
- 1/2 lime juiced
- sprinkle of salt
- 6 medium radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups precooked black lentils
- 2 tablespoons Just Cook taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 avocado, smashed
- 1 teaspoon sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Basque piment or paprika
- micro greens, we have used baby kale as well as pea shoots
- corn tortillas
- In a small mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, red onion, serrano pepper, lime juice and sprinkle of salt. Stir. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil and yellow onion to a large frying pan, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the lentils , taco seasoning and water. Lower heat to simmer.
- Stir and cook for 15 minutes
- In a small bowl mix the avocado, sour cream and Basque pimento together with a fork until smooth. Set aside.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Add the radishes to the tomato mixture.
- To serve, place a tortilla on a serving plate, top with lentils, micro greens, salsa and the avocado cream.