It doesn’t feel like the holidays around our home until the first batch of homemade eggnog is being made. I slip into the mood by turning on some old Bing Crosby holiday tunes; you remember the ones you parents use to play, nothing screams Christmas like a little Bing. I grab the bottle of bourbon off the bar and head into the kitchen.
We both love eggnog, and during the season we enjoy it often. While prepared nog is pretty darn good, the real deal is homemade. It does take a little extra time, or as I like to say love, but it is well worth it. This happens to be another recipe that I have developed for Whole Foods using Clover Stornetta Whole Organic Milk. As I mentioned in that insanely delicious scalloped potato recipe, we are doing our part by spreading the word about clover Stornetta Non-GMO dairy products. We feel we can all do our part by supported the Non-GMO initiative and using Clover Stornetta products is one way. We have been fans of their whole organic milk for some time now, and it definitely helps make homemade eggnog extra creamy.
What makes our eggnog recipe so special besides the creamy goodness is that we use cardamom instead of cinnamon for added flavoring. Cinnamon tends to be a bit on the cooler side while cardamom really warms a recipe up such as this creamy eggnog. I infuse the milk with sugar, cardamom and fresh vanilla beans to create a complex flavor. Being fans of bourbon we throw in a little for that added holiday cheer. If bourbon is not your thing, leave it out or substitute with a dark rum.
Just a little reminder to help spread the word about Clover Stornetta’s Non-GMO products they are hosting a photo contest. From now until the end of December you can enter a photo, capturing a moment when you were enjoying a Clover Stornetta product. All you have to do is snap a photo, then tag it with the hashtag #cloverlover and share it on your favorite social media platform such as Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. There are two categories you can enter your photo in, they are:
- Favorite holiday recipe using Clover products
- Your favorite holiday moment
Your photos will be collected and judged by teams from Whole Foods Market®, Clover Stornetta Farms, the Culinary Institute of America, Sweet Bar Bakery and US. The creamy delicious prizes are:
• The Grand Prize winner in each category will receive coupons for a year’s supply of Clover products and a Clover gift bag!
• Three runners-up in each category will receive a Clover gift bag.
Recipe: Homemade Eggnog
- 8 cups whole organic milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 20 cardamom pods or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 vanilla beans, split in half
- 14 egg yolks
- 1 1/3 cup bourbon ** optional
- nutmeg to garnish
- In a tall 4-qt. nonreactive pot, stir together milk, sugar, vanilla beans and cardamom.
- Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Do not stir the milk, but use a spoon to skim off and discard any skin that forms on the surface of the liquid.
- Boil until the mixture is reduced to about 7 cups, 25–30 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain into a bowl. Place the vanilla beans into the bottles.
- Whisk egg yolks in the bowl of your mixer.
- While whisking the yolks constantly, slowly drizzle in the hot milk mixture.
- Set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until the mixture reaches 175° on an instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes. DO NOT STOP STIRRING or you will have scrambled eggs.
- Place a medium mixing bowl into a large mixing bowl filled with ice. Strain the eggnog into the medium mixing bowl.
- Let the eggnog cool, stirring often.
- Whisk in the bourbon. ** if using
- Pour the eggnog into two 1-qt. jars or bottles.
- Refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to meld.
- Serve chilled with a dusting of nutmeg.