This recipe for grilled herbed shrimp skewers was inspired by a grilled shrimp recipe that our friend Evelyn makes; it is a summer time classic. The only difference between our recipes is the fresh herbs that were used. Evelyn uses mixture of basil and parsley, we took things South of the Border by using cilantro and Serrano peppers.
We are in desperation mode over at Chez Us, trying to ease away a few pounds before tossing on swimsuits this week. There have been lots of heavy veggie meals at our house the past week, with the exception of going away last weekend and blowing it. That doesn’t count when you are in desperation mode, does it? Regardless, we were craving some healthy and lean protein, so we decided to mix things up with some shrimp.
Normally around here we make the same two dishes when cooking with shrimp, a Portuguese recipe called Camarao Mozambique and scampi. Pretty boring isn’t it? With the arrival of a new gas grill, we have decided that we are going to start eating a lot lighter by grilling this summer. One recipe that will be made over and over again are skewers. Not sure about you but we love the simplicity of skewers, and grill them often when we go camping. They are like a meal on a stick! This is a recipe that we tend to get really creative with, and are now going to take it out of the woods into the kitchen. Stay tuned.
Back to this hunky recipe of skewered shrimp. The shrimp are marinaded in a mixture of yellow onion, garlic, Serrano chilies, a heavy hand of cilantro and fresh lime juice. The flavors are pretty much, WOW, so we kept the veggie selection simple. A few cherry tomatoes and baby spring onions was all that was needed to complete this one-stop recipe. Grill them up, and serve with a big bowl of warm orzo that has been tossed with fresh herbs (we used chervil) and a drizzle of olive oil.
Can’t get enough of these skewers? Check out some of these others that are teasing our tastebuds!
Grilled Curried Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce – Kalyn’s Kitchen
Grilled Curry Shrimp Skewers – Cooking Canuck
Thai Grilled Pork Skewers – She Simmers
Grilled Saffron Beef Skewers – Aida Mollenkamp
Recipe:Grilled Herbed Shrimp Skewers
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, washed and patted dry
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small serrano chili
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 – 5 limes)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- cherry tomatoes
- 2 small baby spring onions or small red onion cut into quarters
- Place the onion, garlic, cilantro and serrano into the bowl of a food processor. Give a few whirls to finely mince.
- Place the mixture into a large glass bowl or a large ziploc bag.
- Add the lime juice and canola oil, seal and shake to mix.
- Add the shrimp.
- Seal the bag and shake. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- 1/2 hour before putting the skewers together, if you are using wooden ones soak them for at least 1/2 hour. This prevents them from catching on fire.
- Preheat your grill according to directions.
- Skewer the shrimp, tomatoes and red onion, alternating between the three.
- Grill skewers 2 minutes per side or until cooked through.