This Spicy Harissa Chickpea Salad recipe has become part of the weekly rotation at our kitchen table. It is light enough to serve alongside grilled fish or a big plate of hummus; but hearty enough to enjoy in a big bowl on its own for lunch.
The inspiration for this salad came from a food memory of a lunch we enjoyed in London last year. I cannot remember the name of the place, it was a small little cafe that we poked into to grab a bite. Being fans of Middle Eastern food, this place was the perfect spot to fill our appetite. I loved the spiciness of the Harissa mixed with lemon and a tangy yogurt dressing flavored with cilantro and mint, which enhanced rest of the flavors. The recipe will definitely take you to a faraway land with each bite.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Spicy Harissa Chickpea Salad
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup whole milk greek yogurt
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro + 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- kosher salt, to taste
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas really well. Then let sit for about 15 minutes to dry. The drier the chickpeas are, the better the dressing coats them.
- Mix the yogurt with the milk, 2 tablespoons mint, and cilantro. Stir, then season to taste with the salt. Set aside.
- Place the chickpeas, red onion, garlic, Harissa, olive oil, and lemon juice into a mixing bowl. Gently toss together.
- Stir the 1/3 cup of mint and cilantro into the chickpeas.
- Serve alongside the yogurt dressing.