As far as we know the Portuguese do not make tacos. At our home it is definite, we do make Portuguese inspired taco. This recipe is for Portuguese Style Chicken Tacos, and they are really good. What makes them Portuguese? Twisting around one of Lenny’s favorite roasted chicken recipes. Typically, his mom roasts a chicken that has been slathered in Piri Piri, alongside potatoes. I changed it up a bit and made tacos.
The chicken is marinaded in Piri Piri sauce, which is a spicy pepper sauce that is often used in Portuguese cooking. It is really flavorful and goes well with poultry as well as fish. Not to mention it is great sprinkled on eggs. After marinating the chicken strips, they are sautéed with onions, then tossed with potatoes and kale before serving on tortillas. Super easy and crazy flavorful!
Recipe: Portuguese Style Chicken Tacos
* serves 4 – 6 people
- 4 small-medium Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed clean, peels left on
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound chicken breast cut into thin strips
- 1/2 cup piri piri sauce or your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 pound kale, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Place chicken strips in a Ziploc bag with the piri piri or hot sauce. Shake and place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes. Toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then scatter on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes in a 425 oven until golden brown and fork tender.
- In a large frying pan heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the thinly sliced onion and cook over medium-low heat until soft and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Be sure to stir often to prevent sticking or burning.
- Drain the chicken, then add to the onions. Stir and continue cooking over medium-low heat until golden brown, about 10 – 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken/onion mixture into a small bowl. Lightly wipe out the frying pan.
- Place the frying pan over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive and the minced garlic. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook until lightly wilted, about 1 – 2minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the potatoes into the kale mixture
- Lightly heat the tortillas in the oven.
- To serve, place a tortilla on a plate, top with some of the chicken mixture and then the kale mixture. Pass extra Piri Piri sauce.