I have made these sour cherry walnut scones a half a dozen times over the past couple weeks. Yes, they are that good! We are heading back East for a few days to be part of the MIXED Conference. It has been awhile since we have attended a food blogging event and we cannot wait to put voices with faces. This time we will be more involved as we are not only attendees, but we will be talking about video production for blogging. Lenny is extremely thrilled to be sharing a passion of his to 110 hungry food bloggers so that they can start adding video to their sites. After years of preaching this to clients, this is the next best thing to blogging, and now sponsors are asking for it. They want more then content and pretty pictures. Video is it!
Years of flying has taught me one thing; airport food stinks. Since we had an early morning flight, I knew we would get a little hungry, so I decided to bake some scones for the flight. Definitely the last thing I needed to add to my to-do list, but I knew they would be better then the ones we would have to pay $4.50 (each) for at the airport. That is the price of good butter at the market!
I changed my go to scone recipe by using walnuts, cardamom and cherries. I have been loving the dried sour cherries I have recently found in the bulk section. Definitely a splurge, but, so worth it. Cardamom and sour cherries go extremely well together; tart but warming. The addition of walnuts adds some omega 3s as well as great texture. I toasted them before mixing into the scone dough as I find this takes the bitterness out, which tends to bother me a bit with walnuts.
Besides being a great treat to take on the plane, I think these scones would be wonderful served on Christmas morning. I would dress them up a bit with a warm orange glaze; otherwise, they would be just perfect.
If you are heading to MIXED; we look forward to meeting you soon!
In the meantime check out these other great sour cherry scone recipes:
Earl Grey Cherry Scones – Eat the Love
Sour Cherry Scones with White Chocolate Chips – The Cake Duchess
White Chocolate and Sour Cherry Scones – Nutmeg Nanny
Sour Cherry Scones – Hungry Cravings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 4 oz Irish butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup dried sour cherries
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, lightly crushed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a food processor combine all of the dry ingredients, except cherries and walnuts, give a whirl to mix.
- With the food processor running, add pieces of butter, a couple at a time, and pulse until pea sized. Continue adding the butter until you use all of it.
- Add the heavy cream. Pulse until the dough comes together.
- Add cherries and walnuts, and give a quick pulse.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, and knead on a lightly floured counter top.
- Pat into a circle, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut into triangles, I made 8 but you can make them a bit smaller or larger.
- Place onto the baking sheet, with space between each one.
- Make an egg wash with the egg and a tablespoon of water.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the tops of the scones with the egg wash, and sprinkle a little sugar on each top.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until the scones are golden brown on the tops.
- Remove from the oven.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.