Things are getting zippy over at the Back Burner this week as we share recipes made with gingerbread. Now don’t panic as I did not make beef wellington wrapped in gingerbread. Instead, I made these crispy chicken spring rolls. They are bursting with flavor by using moist chicken thighs, loads of fresh ginger, cilantro, green onions and garlic. Besides leaving a lasting impression on your tastebuds, they are also healthy as they are baked instead of fried. Don’t you agree, that they would be a delicious holiday appetizer?
Crispy Ginger Chicken Spring Rolls
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 6 green onions, finely minced
- 1 knob ginger, size of your thumb, finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and grated
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 rice papers
- 1 egg
- In a large frying pan, over medium heat, cook the ground chicken until partially cooked; about 6 – 8 minutes.
- Add the green onions, ginger and garlic. Stir and continue cooking until fragnant; about 3 minutes. Add the carrot, stir and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt.
- Stir in cilantro and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool.
Putting the Spring Rolls Together
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a slipat mat.
- Begin the rolling process by following these steps:
- Have a clean work surface
- Lay the rice papers out on your surface
- Fill a shallow bowl with very hot water; I keep a kettle simmering so I can rewarm the water as I go
- Put the filling in a separate bowl off to the side
- Dip a single rice paper in the hot water for no longer then 10 seconds
- Lay the rice paper on your clean work surface
- Place 2 – 3 tablespoons of filling about 1/4” in from the edge closest to you
- Bring that edge over the filling
- Bring in the left side of the rice paper to cover the flap you just created
- Bring in the right side of the rice paper to cover the flap and the left side
- Start rolling away from you, tightly, tucking the sides as need be
- Don’t get discouraged; it takes a couple rolls until perfection
- Make an egg wash by mixing the egg with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Using a pastry brush lightly brush the tops of the chicken rolls. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Flip the rolls over and brush the other side with remaining egg wash.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with you favorite dipping sauce.