I have been playing with flavored waters and homemade simple syrups for a couple months now. We usually have a big pitcher of flavored water on the counter, that is replenished throughout the day. It is a great way to remind yourself to hydrate, and the different flavors make the water more interesting. We are not soda drinkers at home. There is just too much sugar and they are heavily processed. So, we have been playing with different flavored simple syrups and putting Sam to great use. Sam, our Soda Stream, is a must have for making healthy, homemade sodas at home. As well he is great at making bubbly water for cocktails such as this refreshing and intoxicating Blueberry Thyme Gin Fizz. Summer never tasted so good ….
When I make our flavored simple syrups, I keep the sugar content low and let it cook a little longer to thicken. I use raw unrefined sugar, which is made from actual sugar cane that has been dehydrated to keep to the true flavors. As well it is less processed then white table sugar. I love the rich flavor and color. Then I simply add fruit, smash it down, and let it do it’s thing. About 5 minutes from removing from the heat I add fresh herbs and let it set while cooling. Not only is it easy but it is fun to try using different fruits and flavor combinations.
I have a feeling these blueberry thyme gin fizzes are going to be a enjoyed often during the summer. The tart blueberries and floral thyme really compliment the juniper in the gin. If, you want to serve as a soda, simply leave out the gin. The little ones will love it, and you will be happy that it is not overloaded with preservatives.
Blueberry Thyme Simple Syrup
- 2/3 cup raw unrefined sugar
- 1 2/3 cup water
- 1 pint blueberries
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- In a saucepan add everything except for the thyme.
- Over low heat dissolve the sugar, while gently smashing the blueberries.
- Continue cooking the syrup until thickened, over low heat, stirring occasionally. It will take about about 30 – 35 minutes.
- The last five minutes add the thyme. Stir.
- Remove from the heat and let set to cool.
- Bottle and store in the fridge.
Recipe: Blueberry Thyme Gin Fizz
- 2 ounces blueberry thyme simple syrup
- 1 ounce gin
- splash of bubbly water
- thyme sprig as garnish
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice.
- Add the simple syrup and gin. Stir.
- Top with bubbly water.