I love butter. In fact, it probably can be considered a secret obsession. I can literally eat good butter by the spoon full. When Erin from Matrixx Pictures contacted me and wanted to know if we would be interested in submitting a recipe with Challenge Dairy, I say Yes! I am familiar with Challenge Butter as I use their European version very often as it has a creamy taste to it as well it is made from cows that are not treated with growth hormones. Once I had accepted the challenge, Erin assigned us to an entree category, which was perfect as I was planning on making a roasted chicken that week.
As you know we are obsessed with truffles and I thought they would go perfectly with the butter. I decided to make a compound butter out of the truffles. Inside of rolling the truffle/butter mixture and letting it set, I immediately stuffed it underneath the skin of the entire bird as well I rubbed it inside and over the top and then roasted it – don’t be afraid, be very generous! The chicken came out succulent with a nice complex earthy flavor. I served the meal with warm baguettes, brie and a light frisee salad with Dijon dressing.
As well there was an abundance of juices not only from the chicken but also from the butter; I saved it! The next day I used the leftover juices and tossed chunks of potatoes into it and roasted them to serve it with the leftover chicken. Both meals are out of this world!
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Roast Chicken with Truffle Butter
- 1 lb challenge dairy European style butter, room temperature
- 1 fresh truffle, thinly grated
- 1 organic, free-range chicken, whole
- maldon salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 425.
- Mix the butter and truffles together in a small bowl.
- Clean your chicken, inside and out and pat dry.
- Gently lift the skin, do not tear it, and fill with the butter/truffle mixture.
- You will need to repeat this all over the chicken.
- When finished, rub the top and the inside of the chicken with more of the butter, until all is used.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Roast for about 1 – 1 1/2 hours, depending on how big the chicken is.
- When finished, remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.