Who said that pesto has to be made only with basil. Kick it up a nosh or two with this delicious Kale Pistachio Pesto. This recipe will take your boring pasta to the next level, and it will make a chicken sing when simply baked.
We finally upgraded our camera. Not because we needed too, we just outgrew the other. We are pretty excited about it, as it will be fun to start shooting in full-frame. Do wish the learning curve was not so … big. We were surprised how different it works compared to our old camera; more of a big kid toy. Bare with us while we learn how to use it by making some easy-go-to-meals. Quick to make, easy to photograph.
We will be traveling a lot the next couple months. All work, no play. When we lived in the city, there was a Whole Foods on the way home from the airport. It was easy to stop in grab a chicken, some endives, cheese, bread and a bottle of wine; this became our welcome home meal. Now, it is not so easy. In order to keep us happy when we are home I have been making delicious somethings for the freezer. Cooking pots of beans to have on hand for last minute meals. Freezing some sausage to add to the beans. And sauces for quick pasta dinners.
I love making pestos. Not only are they great with the obvious but they are also wonderful rubbed all over meat and fish prior to cooking. Spread over chunks of bread, instead of butter. Smeared over steamed vegetables. And of course on pasta. I have a few versions that I tend to make, that do not include Basil. Do love the traditional Basil pesto but there are so many other ways. For instance, what about the forgotten herb Parsley. Not only is it great as a garnish, it makes a mean pesto. Or how about spinach and walnut. Yum.
Last week I had a bunch of kale and instead of playing with it the way I normally do, I had some fun. I roasted pistachios, garlic and spicy Cayenne peppers until they were fragrant. Then I blended everything with fresh kale, parsley and olive oil. No cheese. Completely dairy free. This recipe is texture rich, slightly spicy and so good that I eat by the spoon.
More Kale Pesto
Kale Pesto – Eat Sleep Cuddle
Pasta with Kale Pesto and Shrimp – The Perfect Pantry
Basil and Kale Pesto – Olives for Dinner
Kale, Asparagus and Chickpea Pesto – Munchin with Munchkin
Recipe: Kale Pistachio Pesto
- 1 cup pistachios
- 2 cayenne peppers
- 5 cloves of garlic with skin on
- 1 bunch of kale, used dinosaur
- 1 cup italian parsley
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- kosher salt, to taste
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Scatter the nuts, chilies and garlic onto a cookie sheet. Lightly drizzle with some olive oil. Place into the oven and cook until fragrant, about 5 – 8 minutes. Do not let the nuts burn. Remove from the oven and let cool. Once cool enough to handle squeeze the garlic out of the skins.
- While the nut mixture is baking blanch the kale for 1 minute. Remove from the water and immediately run under very cold water. Blot dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- In a food processor add the nut mixture, kale and parsley. Process until roughly chopped. While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil. Season with salt.