You are probably thinking to yourself, that this grilled cheese sandwich does not really fit into our new, low-cholestrol diet. Well, Lenny was traveling last week, so I did him a favor, by finishing all of the cheese in the house. Don’t judge. Someone had to do it – took one for the team! This recipe for grilled cheese with green garlic butter, tomatoes and avocado is amazing, and so easy to make. I might have to figure out how to sneak one or two in even while he is home.
Being that it is National Grilled Cheese Month, and we have not participated in any food blogging events in some time, I dediced it was time to take the grilled cheese of Chez Us to another level. Gruyere is our favorite cheese of choice when it comes to making a grilled cheese sandwich. Usually, I butter some ciabatta, then pile the grated Gruyere on, and slowly toast and melt the sandwich. All that is left is a little sprinkling of Maldon to make it perfect. Buttery, cheesy, goodness; a party in your mouth!
Last week, not only did I have a chunk of cheese staring me down, but I also had some gorgeous, early season tomatoes, green garlic, and a creamy avocado, screaming to be eaten. I was hungry, and the creative juices were a flowing. First I took some unsalted butter and melted it with slivers of green garlic. Then I buttered both slices of bread with the mixture. Okay, I really poured the garlicky mixture all over both slices, making sure every last piece of garlic was pressed into the bread. Then I piled mounds of cheese onto the green garlic and toasted the sandwich until golden. Just before stuffing my face with it, I opened up the sandwich and put in slices upon slices of tomatoes and avocado. It was heavenly. The tomato was perfect with the bubbly and salty cheese, and the avocado added the creamy texture that the sandwich was screaming for.
Since making this sandwich for the first time, I have to admit, I bought more gruyere, have hidden it in the fridge and have indulged in this sandwich three more times. It’s a love-affair with grilled cheese!
Grilled Cheese with Green Garlic Butter, Tomatoes and Avocado
* makes one sandwich
- 2 slices ciabatta bread
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp green garlic, minced finely
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 tomato slices
- 1/2 avocado, thinly slice
- maldon salt, sprinkle
- Slice two equal slices of ciabatta bread.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a small sauce pan.
- Stir in the green garlic. Set aside.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over medium-low heat; about a 4 on our stove.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Melt.
- Lay each slice of bread onto the melted butter.
- Cook over medium-low heat, until lightly golden, about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Brush the non-toasted side of the bread with the green garlic butter.
- Be sure to get all the pieces of garlic onto the bread.
- Sprinkle both sides with the cheese.
- Let the cheesy pieces of bread cook for 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Gently put one of the slices on top of the other slice.
- Sprinkle both sides with a little Maldon salt.
- Lightly press down with a spatula.
- Cook over medium-low heat until golden brown, and the cheese is melted. 3 – 5 minutes, each side. Remove from the heat.
- Gently lift the top of the sandwich off, and lay the tomatoes and avocado onto the melted cheese. Put the top of the sandwich back on.