Roasted Garlic Hummus

I have been on a pretty big roasted garlic kick the past month and have to admit it has been really nice to become reacquainted with an old favorite.  There is something about slow roasting a head of garlic until it is sticky and rich in flavor.  I love the pungent smell that over takes the kitchen and eventually rest of the house.  It is musky and sultry.  As well as warm and comforting.

Roasting garlic actually mellows the bitter bite that fresh garlic tends to add to a recipe, such as hummus.  In this hummus recipe the garlic is very subtle and caramelized;  perfect with lemon, tahini and chickpeas.  I like to serve lavash with it, as a light lunch or simple snack.

Comments

1. That sounds and looks fabulous! The roasted garlic add a great dimension to hummus.

Cheers,

Rosa

2. Looks AMAZING! I love roasted garlic and use it a all the time. I roast a bunch all at once and mash it all up and keep it the fridge so I can cook with it all week.

I probably have the worst breath ever…. There is allot of Garlic going on in my dishes!

3. I love roasted garlic (well any garlic) and this sounds like a great way to use it. Thanks.

4. Wonderful picture! I also love roasted garlic and it really shines through in hummus. All best — Josh

5. Great classic recipe. Love hummus!

6. Could not agree more. We are HUGE hummus eaters. :)

7. Thanks Josh. Completely agree; roasted garlic shines through on many dishes, hummus being one of them. More roasted garlic recipes to come.

8. Christy, we are right there with you. Big garlic lovers. In fact I have a feeling it goes into almost everything savory that we make.

9. Thanks Carrie. What are some of your favorite dishes to use roasted garlic in?

10. Thanks Rosa. It was fabulous, in fact, I should whip up another batch for lunch this week.

11. Now that’s a hummus with some powerful flavour! I believe I could kill a vampire 10 blocks away if I ate some of this! Great recipe!

12. Cristina says:

Just came across your blog and I think it is wonderful. This hummus is already on my to-do list.
    I would really like to spend more time on your website checking other recipes… so I have to ask… Am I the only one having difficulties acessing your recipe box? (i.e. once open, categories vanish before I even get a chance to read them) Opening a category is a challenge. Am I doing something wrong?
    Just wondering why such a nice blog can not have a better way to access older recipes?!

13. Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes says:

I’m a sucker for good hummus… roasted garlic sounds wonderful in hummus… yum!

14. Hi Cristina,

Thanks for the comment. I just checked the recipe box and was not having any problems. What browser are you using? If you can email me directly, I can try to help you out. Thanks! denise@chezus.com

15. Jeff – the nice thing about roasting the garlic, it mellows it out without killing the flavor. Be careful, there may be a vampire lurking over your shoulder right as you take a bite!

16. i love garlic & this is such a great recipe

17. Joanne says:

how much does the recipe yield? I love hummus, but 1/2 cup of olive oil sounds a bit daunting…

18. Simple, aromatic and delicious.
    It’s just perfect :)

19. wow – I have tahini, chickpeas and everything here to make hummous, but now I’m gonna hve to go to the shops to get a head of garlic and make it roasted garlic hummus! YUM!

20. Ashley says:

love garlic, love hummus–sounds like a perfect combo, can’t wait to try it out!

21. Severin says:

Would this work with a blender instead of a food processor?

22. Hi, we imagine it would. You may have to add a little more water. Give it a whirl and let us know!

23. MICHELLE MAHABAT says:

hi
    this might sound like a rather dumb question, but is it 400 F or Centigrade/Celsius ? I’m from India and we have Centigrade ovens.

24. No question is ever dumb. Yes, all our recipes will be in Fahrenheit as we are in the US. Not sure what that would convert to in centigrade?

Trackbacks

1. […] The Kitchn 2. Roasted Rosemary Almonds – Shutterbean 3. Maple Soy Snack Mix – Dana Treat 4. Roasted Garlic Hummus – Chez Us 5. Super Nachos – The Food […]