Lenny requested that I recreate my chocolate coconut fat bombs using pumpkin as the key ingredient. We eat a lot of pumpkin during the winter months so it only seemed appropriate. These pumpkin energy bites are the perfect pick me up when you are dragging during the day or before a workout, or to take along with you during your big Black Friday shopping trip.
These pumpkin energy bites are loaded with protein and hardly any sugar. I use pumpkin seed butter instead of peanut butter in my fat bombs as I think I may be developing a nut allergy and am trying to eliminate while I figure things out. Pumpkin seeds are loaded with protein as well as a ton of great minerals and iron. They are a great addition to a plant-based diet. They are also good for helping fight inflammation. The brand of pumpkin seed butter I prefer is 88 Acres as the flavor is really clean and there is not a high sugar and sodium content which are two areas we are watching. I do add a little date syrup or maple syrup for sweetness.
For added texture and for some superfood powers I add cacao nibs and then roll the bites in cacao powdered. Cacao is loaded with antioxidants, fiber, and vital minerals that our bodies need especially when we are a bit low in energy or before a workout. I always buy these ingredients unsweetened as I do not want more sugar that I am already getting from the date syrup and pumpkin seed butter.
Whip up a batch of these Pumpkin Energy Bites as they are easy to make and you can pop some into a small container and take them with you.
Pumpkin Energy Bites
** makes 16 medium-sized bites – can roll smaller if you want to make more
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree – unsweetened
- 2 cups organic rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seed butter
- 2 tablespoons date syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup cacao powder – unsweetened
- Place everything except the cacao nibs and cacao powder into a food processor. Pulse until it comes together.
- Add the cacao nibs and pulse quickly just to mix in.
- Using your hands rolls the mixture into balls – it will be a little sticky which is okay as it firms up in the refrigerator. Place onto a small baking sheet.
- After rolling all of the mixtures into balls place into the refrigerator and let sit for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the refrigerator and roll into the cacao powder and then place each bite into a container that has a top to seal.
- Place back into the refrigerator and enjoy it within the week.