I feel like it has been forever since I posted over here. There has been a lot going on, which I do plan on sharing. I will share that I have been craving pancakes for the past few months and they are usually something I only order when eating out. Since I have been cutting out refined sugars I lean towards a savory breakfast more often than not. I had to give in to that craving recently and make a batch of our favorite Banana Blueberry Pancakes.
I often head over here to Chez Us when making a familiar recipe such as these Banana Blueberry Pancakes. Much to my surprise, I have not even shared this recipe with you, which I did not realize until I began mixing. I pulled out my notes, grabbed my camera and got to work at fine-tuning a recipe we love.
As I mentioned we are trying to cut out refined sugars as much as possible so when I made some adjustments to this recipe I left out the sugar. My theory is that the fruit, as well as the maple syrup, is sweet enough so there is no need to add more sugar to the pancake mix. It is loaded with sweet ripe bananas and tart blueberries which is all the sweet we need. Plus, I add a little vanilla which brings out the natural sweetness of the fruit even more.
I tend to like lighter pancakes as well as smaller sized ones, so I do add a bit more milk to thin the batter out. I also whip the egg white to soft peaks, this creates a lighter and more tend pancake. Not dense or rubbery at all.
I hope you plan on making a batch of these Banana Blueberry Pancakes over the long weekend. I guarantee it will put a smile on your face as well as those who are sharing breakfast with you.
Banana Blueberry Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup whole milk + 5 tablespoons (I like a thinner batter)
- 1 1/2 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup of blueberries
- warm maple syrup
- extra banana to serve
- extra blueberries to serve
- Melt the butter and then set aside to cool.
- Place the all-purpose flour and baking soda in a large mixing bowl and lightly whisk to mix.
- Beat the egg white until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl mash together the milk and banana. Add the egg and mix with a fork. Then add the cooled butter and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture stir with a fork until blended but still slightly lumpy.
- Fold in egg whites, then the blueberries.
- Heat a griddle or heavy frying pan over medium heat. Lightly butter.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle. If you like bigger pancakes then add more batter, if you like smaller, then use less.
- When the pancakes have a bubbly surface and golden brown, flip over and cook for a couple more minutes until golden.
- Serve with extra blueberries and banana slices, as well as butter and warm maple syrup.