This recipe Homemade Creamy Stove Top Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese is loaded with two kinds of cheddar, buttery onions and fresh garlic. We like some heat so the addition of chili flakes is perfect. The amount of cheese in this recipe is over the top, so the addition of broccoli makes us feel better about eating it. Isn’t it healthy that way?
Couple of tips to help make the recipe perfect for you. Whenever I make a stove-top or oven baked macaroni and cheese, I always undercook the pasta by a couple of minutes. Even though you drain the pasta when the cooking time is up, it continues to cook. If the directions on the box of pasta say 8 minutes, only cook for 6.
I like to make a paste out of the fresh garlic. I simply peel the garlic and mash it with a little salt. I add the garlic paste after the onions are softened. If you over cook the garlic it will make your recipe bitter. Lastly, take a few minutes and blanch the broccoli as it will just be more enjoyable with each bite.
- Undercook the pasta by a couple minutes as it will continue to cook once drained and once covered with the cheesy sauce.
- Use fresh garlic, the flavor is more bright and tastes better than pre-peeled or crushed in a jar.
Recipe: Homemade Creamy Stove Top Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 (4 ounces) stick of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup ap flour
- 3 cups whole milk – may need to add a little more if the sauce is too thick – I never add more than an extra 1/2 cup
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
- 2 cups mild cheddar, grated
- pinch of chili flakes, optional but good
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1 box elbow pasta
- 1 pound broccoli – tops only
- Blanch the broccoli and set aside to dry.
- Follow the cooking instructions on pasta box, except cook the pasta 2 minutes less than recommended.
- Drain in a colander.
- Rinse with cold water to stop from cooking.
- Set aside to drain. I lightly toss with my hands, occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Heat the butter in a large dutch oven over low heat.
- Add the onions, stir and cook until soft; about 5 minutes.
- Heat the milk in a large saucepan over medium heat, until warm. Set aside.
- Using a mortar, mash the garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt, until a paste forms. Add the garlic to the onions. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk the flour into the onion mixture.
- Add a pinch or more of chili flakes.
- Over low heat, add the milk to the flour/onion mixture. Whisk constantly, until smooth.
- Add the cheese by handfuls to the béchamel.
- Stir until smooth.
- Gently reheat over low heat. Stirring constantly.
- Add the pasta and broccoli.
- Lightly stir to combine.
- Season with salt, if needed.
More Mac and Cheese