Such a delightfully easy recipe using fresh springtime ingredients. Homemade angel hair pasta is cooked and then lightly tossed with a sweet pea shoot sauce to make this recipe for White Corn and Sweet Pea Shoot Sauce. Dinner is ready in no time.
We took a lunchtime trip over to the Ferry Plaza and found these beautiful sweet pea shoots. I loved the little curly vines and the sweet white flowers; we knew we could make something yummy out of it. The last time we ate them we were in New York and they were served over a beautiful piece of halibut, it was such a memorable meal. We also picked up some sweet white corn which was fresh from the farm, there is nothing like it, you can even eat it right from the cob without cooking – perfect!
We picked up a fun little kitchen item when we were in Montreal, a hand-cranked pasta machine, we could not wait to try it out. We have been talking about getting a pasta machine ever since we hand-rolled raviolis and now we found one at the perfect price – Canadian dollars! We could not wait to try it out so we decided that even though we may end up eating at midnight, we would try it out.
It was easy and fun! After making the pasta dough, in the food processor and letting it rest for 30 minutes, it took less than 30 minutes to roll the dough, cut it and cook it. It was a great meal to make together – Lenny was our pasta maker while I tossed together a great sauce of shallots, sweet white corn and sweet pea shoots, fresh as spring and very flavorful! At the end of our meal, it was unanimous that we will never go back to dried pasta!
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
White Corn and Sweet Pea Shoot Sauce
- 1 white corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 lb sweet pea shoots, cleaned and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- homemade or your favorite dried pasta
- Heat olive oil in frying pan.
- Saute shallots until soft, about 5 minutes. Add corn and saute about 3 minutes.
- Add pea shoots and saute, just until bright green.
- Add garlic and saute for about 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Before serving to add the reserved pasta water, stir and add to pasta of choice.