I started making this recipe for Roasted Strawberry Sauce a few years back, when I had some slightly wrinkly strawberries hanging out. It was one of those recipes that purely happened by accident, but continued to live on as it was so outrageously delicious.
The strawberries that were left for dead basically, were so sweet to begin with, that I did not have the heart to toss them out: I just didn’t want to toss them into my mouth. This recipe for roasted strawberry sauce is great using up those old maids or even fresh picked strawberries. I really do not discriminate at all now, when I made this dessert treat. We really enjoy the sauce while it is still slightly warm, poured over Brown Sugar or Mascarpone Ice Cream or plain old Vanilla Bean. If there is any sauce left over, I save it, for the next morning as it is wonderful stirred into a bowl of warm steel cut oats.
This recipe is truly springtime in a bowl!
Roasted Strawberry Sauce
- 2 pint strawberries, larger ones cut in half, smaller left whole
- 4 tablespoons sugar, prefer raw
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar – optional
- Heat oven to 250.
- Toss strawberries with sugar and the vinegar if you are using.
- Spread out on a rimmed cookie sheet. Put into the oven and slowly cook until caramelized, approximately 2 hours.
- Stir them occasionally and make sure they are not sticking or burning.
- Spoon over ice cream. Serve. Eat.
- If you are not going to use right away, after roasting, put into a jar with about 1/4 cup simple syrup.