Risotto is a good basic rice recipe that everyone should learn to make. You can do so much with a basic recipe and it is the perfect compliment to any of your *star* attractions at dinner if you want to serve it as a side. We love this Morel Ramp Risotto with Ramp Pesto recipe which I used our basic risotto recipe then added wonderful ramps and morels we received last week, from David at Earthy Delights.
I did not want the morels to overpower the ramps so I used a small number of morels then doubled the number of ramps. As well I whipped up a wonderful pesto using the leafy greens from the ramps but saved some to use as a garnish. It was amazing. The pesto was slightly spicy and added a nice zing to the creamy risotto.
Recipe: Risotto with Morels and Ramps
* serves 4
- 1/2 lb morels, quartered and cleaned (instructions)
- 2 bunch of ramps, white parts only, mince
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup good white wine
- 2 cups risotto rice
- 6 cups quality chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- spoonful of ramp pesto
- Heat the olive oil and add ramps (white parts), saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the morels. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced about another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Heat stock to boiling, reduce to a simmer.
- Add the risotto to the pan which you saute the ramps in. Warm the rice for about 3 minutes.
- Add a cup of the stock and cook until reduced.
- Add another cup and continue until you have a creamy rice mixture, slightly al dente. Add the butter and stir until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the ramp pesto and morel mixture, cook for 5 minutes.
- Plate, and then drizzle some pesto over the top.
- 2 bunch of leafy greens from Ramps
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Add ramps to a food processor.
- Blend until chopped.
- Slowly add olive oil and blend until smooth.