Risotto is a good basic side dish that everyone should learn to make. You can do so much with a basic recipe to compliment any of your *star* attractions at dinner. For this Morel Ramp Risotto with Ramp Pesto I used our basic risotto recipe and added wonderful ramps and morels we received last week, from David at Earthy Delights.
I did not want the morels to overpower the ramps so I used a small number of morels and doubled the number of ramps. As well I created a wonderful pesto using the leafy greens from the ramps and used some as a garnish. It was amazing. The pesto was slightly spicy and added a nice zing to the creamy risotto.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Risotto with Morels and Ramps
* serves 4
- 1/2 lb morels, quartered and cleaned (instructions)
- 2 bunch of ramps, white parts only, mince
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup good white wine
- 2 cups risotto rice
- 6 cups quality chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Heat the olive oil and add ramps (white parts), saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the morels. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until reduced about another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Heat stock to boiling, reduce to a simmer.
- Add the risotto to the pan which you saute the ramps in. Warm the rice for about 3 minutes.
- Add a cup of the stock and cook until reduced.
- Add another cup and continue until you have a creamy rice mixture, slightly al dente. Add the butter and stir until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the ramp and morel mixture, cook for 5 minutes.
- Plate, and then drizzle some pesto over the top.
- 2 bunch of leafy greens from Ramps
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Add ramps to a food processor.
- Blend until chopped.
- Slowly add olive oil and blend until smooth.