I LOVE these scary vampire bite cupcakes. Aren’t they so cute? I baked them as a surprise for MEM when they coming knocking on our door tomorrow night. I found some adorable boxes that look like coffins and will tuck these cupcakes into them to make the surprise even more fun. A better idea than a handful of candy, don’t you think?
I wish I came up with this idea myself but I was inspired by an article in a magazine I read recently. Their recipe was a bit different as they used a chocolate cupcake filled with marshmallow. Sounds good but I went a bit traditional as one of the Ms in MEM is a bit picky.
This recipe is basically a vanilla cupcake and I used a recipe from Magnolia Bakery in New York, this happens to be in my opinion the best cupcake out there. I filled the middle of the cupcake with raspberry jam and then frosted with a cream cheese frosting. The blood is Wilton decorating frosting in a tube.
I want to suck your blood!!
Recipe: Vampire Bite Cupcakes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- raspberry jam
- your favorite frosting
- red decorating icing in a tube
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and salt together in a glass bowl – use a whisk to make sure ingredients are incorporated well.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter until smooth. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy; about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk and vanilla, mixing well after each addition.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups about 3/4 full.
- Bake until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when touches; about 20 – 25 minutes. Timing depends on how hot your oven runs.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool on a rack before filling and frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled use an apple corer or a round decorating tip to remove some of the cupcakes.
- Fill with a small amount of jam.
- To frost and not mix the jam in the frosting I take a small amount and lightly cover the hole with the jam and then frost the cupcake.
- Using the icing in a tube draw two small lines to resemble blood from the vampire bite.
More Scary Halloween Treats