This recipe for Pomegranate Panna Cotta is the last in the series that I developed for Whole Foods using Clover Stornetta Non-GMO products. I have to say it has been creamy good fun working with both companies.
Panna Cotta is one of those fall back on desserts when I need something sweet to serve after a dinner. Being that most of the ingredients can be considered a staple, it makes it easy to whip up the morning of a dinner party or even the day before serving. I like to think of the base of a panna cotta as the canvas, and the flavoring comes by way of using different toppings or gelée as the finishing touch.
For this holiday inspired panna cotta, I opted to use a non-sweetens pomegranate juice as I wanted the tartness of the pomegranate to blend with the creamy vanilla base. As well I never over sweetened my panna cottas as I do not like an overly sugary dessert. I used fresh pomegranate seeds as a texture rich garnish. Since this recipe is ultimately easy to make, you still have time to add this elegant but simple dessert to your holiday menu.
As a reminder and to help spread the word about Clover Stornetta’s Non-GMO products, they are hosting a very fun photo contest. From now until the end of December 31, 2013, you can enter a photo, capturing a moment when you were enjoying a Clover Stornetta product. All you have to do is snap a photo, then tag it with the hashtag #cloverlover and share it on your favorite social media platform such as Instagram, Facebook or Twitter. There are two categories you can enter your photo in, they are:
- Favorite holiday recipe using Clover products
- Your favorite holiday moment
Your photos will be collected and judged by teams from Whole Foods Market®, Clover Stornetta Farms, the Culinary Institute of America, Sweet Bar Bakery and US. The creamy delicious prizes are:
• The Grand Prize winner in each category will receive coupons for a year’s supply of Clover products and a Clover gift bag!
• Three runners-up in each category will receive a Clover gift bag.
Recipe: Pomegranate Panna Cotta
- 2 cups clover organic heavy cream
- 2 cups clover organic whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split in half
- 2 packets gelatin (1 ounce each)
- 7 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/3 cup pomegranate juice (unsweetened)
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- fresh pomegranate seeds
- Place the heavy cream, whole milk, sugar and vanilla beans in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring the milk to a boil, then remove from the heat. Set aside.
- In a small bowl pour in the warm water and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Set aside until softened; about 7 minutes.
- Whisk a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the the gelatin, and whisk until mixed well.
- Strain in rest of the hot milk and whisk until completely mixed.
- Pour into 8 serving glasses, about 3/4 full.
- Place in the refrigerator until set, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Gently warm the pomegranate juice over medium heat, just until warm to touch. Remove from the heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the juice into a mixing bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Mix well with a small whisk until dissolved.
- Whisk in rest of the pomegranate juice.
- Let set for 15 minutes. Then gently pour over the tops of each panna cotta.
- Place back into the refrigerator until set; about 2 hours.
- Garnish with some fresh pomegranate seeds.