It has been a busy week. We are wrapping up a few small projects, which we cannot wait to share with everyone. As well I have been a slave to the kitchen, which means great recipes are coming soon.
A little news is that a while back Old El Paso asked me to develop some recipes for them. One of the recipes was using one of their newest products the Stand’ N Stuff Taco Shells. I love a good burrito but always feel like there is too much tortilla and not enough filling. Are you with me? The Stand’N Stuff Taco Shells are ideal for making quick and easy burritos at home.
The Stand’ N Stuff Taco Shells were perfect for creating a not over loaded burrito. For this recipe I used farm fresh veggies that were in season at the time. To keep my burritos on the healthier side I omitted cheese and sour cream, instead I used lots of fresh zucchini, red peppers and sweet summer corn. I, also, used Old El Paso Mexican Rice for a little extra filler. I served chunky mild salsa along side the tacos for a little added kick. They were a huge hit at our home, and we will continue to enjoy them even after summer produce disappears. Wouldn’t black beans and butternut squash be great?
Recipe: Healthy Veggie Burritos
- 8 Stand ‘N Stuff flour tortillas
- 2 bags of Old El Paso Mexican Rice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 small zucchini
- 1 small red pepper
- 2 ears corn
- Preheat the oven to 325.
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. Once cooked, lightly fluff with a fork and set aside.
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Mince the garlic.
- Heat the canola oil in a large frying pan and add the onion and garlic. Over medium heat cook until lightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- While the above mixture is cooking prepare rest of the vegetables.
- Gently cut the kernels off of the corn cobs.
- Dice the zucchini into small pieces.
- Thinly slice the red pepper
- Add the vegetables to the onion mixture, stir and cook over medium heat for 6 minutes.
- Place the Stand ‘N Stuff tortillas on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Place the Stand ‘N Stuff flour tortillas on a serving place and evenly divide the rice among them.
- Top with the veggie mixture.
- Serve with salsa on the side.