I have been keeping this bread a secret, the past two months, while I perfected it. *smirk across my face* I have not even let a drop of the secret out. *shame* This banana bread recipe is the …….. BEST. MOISTEST. MOST DELICIOUS. I have ever eaten. Really! Honest!! Shhh, don’t tell anyone, it is even (almost) better than our banana chocolate chip banana bread. You have to add this Super Moist Banana Bread recipe to your collection, and then thank us later.
Where did it start? Well, pull up a chair, and let me tell ya. I read an article in the New York times about coconut oil. As well, our friend Darya, was chatting about it on her online show, Summer Tomato Live. I am always looking for good, healthy, alternatives when baking. Don’t get me wrong, I am the original butter girl, and love the stuff; but, it might be nice to cut back a little. In moderation, virgin coconut oil is good for us. As well it is really versatile for cooking. You can use it with baking, sauteing vegetables, popping pop corn, your mind is what will limit your uses with it. I was very intrigued, and decided to play around with it.
I took my original banana bread recipe, the one with chocolate, and decided to change it around. The first couple times, I made the recipe, I added half butter, and half virgin coconut oil, along with the sour cream, and cream cheese, as I was not sure how it would work out. It was good, but still not what I was hoping for. The next couple times, I left the butter out, as well as the sour cream; it was really amazing. In fact, perfect. But, I decided to play with it again. This time I eliminated the cream cheese, and used Saint Benoit Yogurt Cheese. Yogurt cheese has the same texture as cream cheese, and less fat; it is a healthy alternative. This time around, the banana bread, was incredibly moist, light, cake like in texture, and had a faint taste of coconut. Like when you are in the tropics, laying on the beach, and you can smell that faint smell of coconut in the distance. We had a couple loaves laying around for three days, and each one was perfectly moist the entire time. So, what are you waiting for? Add virgin coconut oil to your shopping list, and get baking. This would be perfect as a snack or even to serve with breakfast.
*yes, that would be some butter being served with that bread
Have you tried baking or cooking with virgin coconut oil? If so, what did you make?
Super Moist Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups ap flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil; you can use butter
- 1 cup yogurt cheese, or cream cheese
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 medium-size bananas
- Heat oven to 350.
- Line a loaf pan, with parchment paper.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the coconut oil or butter on medium speed, until soft; about 3 minutes.
- Add the yogurt cheese, and continue beating on medium speed, for 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, and mix at medium speed, until fluffy; 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and bananas, mix until combined.
- Toss in the dry ingredients, mix on medium speed, until combined; about 3 minutes.
- Pour into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes. Each oven is different, start checking at 45 minutes. You want the bread to be golden brown. A knife will come out clean, when you slide it into the middle of the loaf.
If you like this recipe, check these out: