I LOVE chimichangas as in really love them. I tend not to order very often because they are fried. I usually opt for something a bit more on the healthy side. I never make at home for obvious reasons; they are fried, frying makes a mess and I try to limit my fried food intake. Well, my friends, that has changed and in the past month, I have made this recipe for Cheesy Green Chile Chicken Chimichangas about four times. I LOVE it!!
I am not sure where to start. Should I tell you about my new favorite cookbook or my new favorite kitchen appliance? Okay, let’s start with the appliance because I am usually not an appliance kind of gal. I am always on the fence about new kitchen appliances as well as gadgets, and it takes a lot for me to really jump on board. I am still trying to fall in love with my Instant Pot and it has been over a year. I LOVE the Skinnytaste Air Fryer by Vremi as in LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, and I am not just saying that because Gina is my friend. I honestly did not think I would enjoy it at all, but I am totally digging it and have been using two to three times a week. It is super easy to use, everything comes out crispy and flavorful without the added frying mess or calories. We never make fried food at home because of the mess, how unhealthy food is from being left in a vat of oil, and the smell that lingers in the house. Since receiving the Air Fryer we have enjoyed fried chicken a couple of times, these chimichangas, Yogurt Marinated Chicken Thighs, Blackened Salmon, Fish Sticks, French Fries, Potato Wedges, and I have even baked Cinnamon Rolls.
This recipe is from Gina’s new cookbook The Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook which has become a go-to cookbook for the past month. All of the recipes are super simple to make, really delicious and I have dinner on the table in under 45 minutes.
Thoughts on the Air Fryer? It has become a dinner party conversation piece, and I am being completely upfront here – I really do like it. It is so easy to use and everything has been really delicious. I roast chicken breasts in it often for salads and lunch, and it only takes about 12 minutes, and they come out really moist. Most of all I like that it is a healthier option. I am very aware of our diets and fat intake, and I hardly use any fat with the Air Fryer. Now we can enjoy foods that I use to only eat on a “special occasion” like super juicy fried chicken. Hello Summer Time!
Recipe: Cheesy Green Chile Chicken Chimichangas
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces shredded leftover or rotisserie chicken breast
- juice of 1/2 navel orange
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces mild diced green chiles, drained
- 4 (7 – 8 inch) low carb
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- olive oil spray
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Pico de gallo – Combine the first five ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine and then let sit.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin, and drained chilies. Mix well to incorporate.
- On a work surface, working with one at a time, place one-quarter of the chicken mixture (almost 3/4 cup) onto the bottom third of a tortilla. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Lift the edge nearest you and wrap it around the filling. Fold the left and right sides in toward the center and continue to roll into a tight cylinder. Set aside, seam side down, and repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
- Lightly spray all sides of the chimichangas with oil. Place 2 of the chimichangas seam side down in the air fryer basket. Make sure each chimichanga is tightly wrapped and seam side down in the basket or it will open during cooking. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining chimichangas.
- To serve, place on a plate and top with some of the pico de gallo and sour cream. garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Thursday 26th of September 2019
Wow, I love chile chicken chimichangas, Thank you so much to share your recipe....
Friday 5th of July 2019
I’d like to try making the Skinnytaste cheesesteak egg rolls in the air fryer!
Wednesday 3rd of July 2019
I have not gotten an air fryer and would love one. It would allow me to cook healthier for my family. There are many recipes I would love to make but the chimichangas would be the first I would make.
Wednesday 3rd of July 2019
I made the Chimichanga but in the oven as I don't have an airfryer. They were good but I think they would be better in the hairdryer.
Tuesday 2nd of July 2019
I'd definitely those Chimichangas first! They look so good. I'd also love to try french fries, hushpuppies and fried chicken...All the things I gave up making years ago due to the mess and concerns about too much fat.