I have written before about how we were haters of Brussels Sprouts. We both blame it on our childhoods and overcooked vegetables. Was there really the need to overcook those sprouts until they were pale green in color, and had to be doused in vinegar before gagging them down. Painted a pretty picture, didn’t I? This recipe for duck fat roasted brussels sprouts has changed us forever.
Since the first time of enjoying Brussels Sprouts that were properly cooked, we have become fans. One of the recipes that I really love making is roasted sprouts. The drizzle of duck fat makes them even better. My recipe has changed over the years. Now I add thinly sliced shallots. As well as orange zest and toasted pecans. The duck fat helps the sprouts caramelize into golden brown bites of heaven. Indulgent, yes, but worth every bite.
Happy Thanksgiving. May each and every one of you be safe and have a home filled with love this holiday.
Duck Fat Roasted Brussels Sprouts
** I have updated this recipe November 17, 2017. I think I am developing a nut allergy so I have omitted pecans this time and included them as an optional ingredient. As well, I tried the recipe with lemon zest and it comes out fantastic. Maybe next year I will change it up again.
- 4 pounds Brussels sprouts
- 2/3 cup melted duck fat
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup toasted pecans, broken into pieces **optional
- 1 tablespoon orange or lemon zest
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 450.
- Slowly melt all of the duck fat, except for 2 tablespoons, in a saucepan.
- Remove outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts, keep the ones that do not have any blemishes.
- Cut off and throw out the bottom of each Brussels sprout, and cut them in half.
- Toss the brussels sprouts with the shallots and put into a roasting pan.
- Drizzle the melted duck fat over the top.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 25 minutes until golden brown and caramelized.
- Gently stir the sprouts about 15 minutes into the roasting.
- Remove from the oven.
- Toss with the orange or lemon zest.
- Stir in the pecans if you are using.