I have to admit something, this recipe for baked pears has become a regular guest at our dinner table. What started out as a special dessert for some special friends during a dinner party, has become a quick-go-to recipe when we are craving a little sweetness.
What do I love about this dessert of baked pears? I love the simplicity and the somewhat peasant-like feel. It is cozy and makes you want to curl up with a loved one. It is sweet and slightly creamy. What I love most is that it is sugar, dairy and wheat free. Yeah! And it is still amazing.
I was inspired to make this recipe by one of my favorite food bloggers, Bea. At the time we were eliminating a few things from our diets, so I switched up her recipe and made it fit our current lifestyle. And I served it to unknowing people, and they loved it. Since that first time, I have still made it the way I did that first time. I have used Bosc and Seckel Pears, as long as your pears are ripe, you really do not need sugar. Most of the time when I cook with fruit, I usually eliminate or reduce the sugar and let the naturalness shine. Ripe sweet pears baked with creamy coconut milk and rich vanilla bean is all you really need to make this comforting dessert shine. A twist or two of Meyer Lemon adds some freshness!
This recipe for baked pears is lovely served on its own or alongside a dish or rice pudding or a scoop of ice cream if you are so inclined. However, you choose to enjoy it is entirely up to you, just remember dessert without the evil triplets can be very enjoyable!
Recipe: Baked Pears
- 8 seckel pears or 4 pears of your choice, washed and peels on or off
- 1 cup coconut milk (light)
- 1 small lemon, cut peel into long strips
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Place coconut milk, lemon peel and coconut oil in a medium sized sauce pan.
- Cut vanilla bean in half, and scrape seeds out. Place everything into the sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let sit for 30 minutes
- Cut pears in half and remove seeds.
- Place pears into a baking dish.
- Pour the coconut milk over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven (350) for 20 – 30 minutes. Timing depends on size of pears. Use the tip of a knife to test doneness; when poking with the knife it will go in easily.
- Serve alone or with a scoop of ice cream or rice pudding.