I LOVE chimichangas as in really love them. I tend not to order very often because they are fried. I usually opt for something a bit more on the healthy side. I never make at home for obvious reasons; they are fried, frying makes a mess and I try to limit my fried food intake. Well, my friends, that has changed and in the past month, I have made this recipe for Cheesy Green Chile Chicken Chimichangas about four times. I LOVE it!!
I am not sure where to start. Should I tell you about my new favorite cookbook or my new favorite kitchen appliance? Okay, let’s start with the appliance because I am usually not an appliance kind of gal. I am always on the fence about new kitchen appliances as well as gadgets, and it takes a lot for me to really jump on board. I am still trying to fall in love with my Instant Pot and it has been over a year. I LOVE the Skinnytaste Air Fryer by Vremi as in LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, and I am not just saying that because Gina is my friend. I honestly did not think I would enjoy it at all; but I am totally digging it and have been using two to three times a week. It is super easy to use, everything comes out crispy and flavorful without the added frying mess or calories. We never make fried food at home because of the mess, how unhealthy food is from being left in a vat of oil and the smell that lingers in the house. Since receiving the Air Fryer we have enjoyed fried chicken a couple of times, these chimichangas, Yogurt Marinated Chicken Thighs, Blackened Salmon, Fish Sticks, French Fries, Potato Wedges, and I have even baked Cinnamon Rolls.
This recipe is from Gina’s new cookbook The Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook which has become a go-to cookbook for the past month. All of the recipes are super simple to make, really delicious and I have dinner on the table in under 45 minutes.
Thoughts on the Air Fryer? It has become a dinner party conversation piece, and I am being completely upfront here – I really do like it. It is so easy to use and everything has been really delicious. I roast chicken breasts in it often for salads and lunch, and it only takes about 12 minutes, and they come out really moist. Most of all I like that it is a healthier option. I am very aware of our diets and fat intake, and I hardly use any fat with the Air Fryer. Now we can enjoy foods that I use to only eat on a “special occasion” like super juicy fried chicken. Hello Summer Time!
**** Okay, so I am so sold on this Air Fryer that we are going to give away one to one lucky reader of Chez Us. It was our twelve year blog anniversary in May – twelve years, can you believe it? Every year I usually wait until the holidays and I give away something cooking related that I have really enjoyed using all year. I cannot wait as I want you to enjoy now! Leave a comment below telling me what you are going to make first with the Air Fryer. We will pick one lucky reader, from the USA, on July 7, 2019. ***
WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN CHIMICHANGAS DINNER – We have a winner, the super talented Brooks Walker.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Cheesy Green Chile Chicken Chimichangas
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces shredded leftover or rotisserie chicken breast
- juice of 1/2 navel orange
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 ounces mild diced green chiles, drained
- 4 (7 – 8 inch) low carb
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- olive oil spray
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- Pico de gallo – Combine the first five ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to combine and then let sit.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, orange juice, lime juice, garlic, cumin
anddrained chilies. Mix well to incorporate.
- On a work surface, working with one at a time, place one-quarter of the chicken mixture (almost 3/4 cup) onto the bottom third of a tortilla. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons cheese. Lift the edge nearest you and wrap it around the filing. Fold the left and right sides in toward the center and continue to roll into a tight cylinder. Set aside, seam side down, and repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 F.
- Lightly spray all sides of the chimichangas with oil. Place 2 of the chimichangas seam side down in the air fryer basket. Make sure each chimichanga is tightly wrapped and seam side down in the basket or it will open during cooking. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden and crisp. Repeat with the remaining chimichangas.
- To serve, place on a plate and top with some of the pico de gallo and sour cream. garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.