Now that, we are working from home, full-time, I am constantly thinking about quick and easy nibbles for during the day. I don’t want to spend more than an hour, preparing and eating lunch, when I am busy at my desk. This recipe for Crispy Brussels Sprouts with Black Garlic Aioli is perfect as we can even nibble at our desks while working.
We have been in Brussels Sprouts heaven the past couple weeks as OceanMist recently surprised us with a
package box full of fresh Brussels Sprouts to work on some new recipes. Lucky for you this is only one of the new recipes that I will be sharing over the course of the next couple weeks. I love how quick and easy this recipe comes together to make a light lunch/snack or even a great side dish; we also enjoyed it with a roasted chicken.
When we were both kids, on separate coasts, we were not fans of the Brussels Sprouts. We are pretty sure it was because they were boiled or steamed until pasty green. As adults, we love them! Not only are sprouts little bites of fun, they are also very good for us. Brussels Sprouts are a member of the cruciferous family, and they contain large amounts of antioxidants, vitamin C, and beta-carotene; they have even been found to help reduce the risk of certain cancers. The nice thing, they can be found year-round, so eat up!!
Black Garlic Aioli
* you can use regular garlic as well, just reduce to 2 cloves.
- 3 aged black garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- Mash together the garlic and a pinch of salt to create a paste.
- I use a large knife to do this.
- Whisk together the yolk and lemon juice.
- Put into a food processor and with it running, slowing drizzle in the olive oil, until all of the oil is incorporated and the mixture is emulsified.
- If the mixture starts to break down, stop adding the oil and continue processing until it comes together, then continue adding the oil.
- Add the garlic paste and pulse to combine.
- If the mixture is too thick, add a couple drops of water to loosen it up.
** normally I make aioli in a mortar or whisking by hand – when I need it quickly I use the food processor.
Crispy Brussels Sprouts
- 1 pound of Brussels Sprouts, cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Heat oven to 425.
- In a mixing bowl add the Brussels Sprouts, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Gently mix to coat the sprouts.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking sheet.
- Slide into the oven.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Stir gently.
- Bake for another 10 – 15 minutes until the sprouts start to caramelize and turn crispy.