I have a few things to share before 2011; just not sure which one to share first. Then I remembered this sinful dessert we served a couple of weeks ago. I just had to let the cat out of the bag, as you will definitely want to include it with your New Years’ Eve dinner menu. It is insanely delicious not to mention sinfully good too. Hoping you enjoy this Flourless Chocolate Tart with Sugared Cranberries recipe as much as we have been.
A flourless chocolate tart is a go-to dessert when we have a dinner party for a couple of reasons: 1) all ingredients are staples in your house, 2) gluten-free so all guests are covered, and 3) easy to make. Usually when I make one I play with the ingredients, by changing chocolates, flavors, and amounts of ingredients. I have to say this version is IT! I will no longer be playing with the recipe. In our opinions, it came out perfect. Dense. Rich. Sinful. Just the way dessert should be.
I wanted to lighten the chocolate a little so I served brown sugared creme fraiche and candied cranberries alongside. Candied cranberries are really wonderful. Slightly tart, slightly sweet. You will need to start the candied cranberries a couple of hours before serving, but the process is well worth the effort. If you do not have fresh cranberries, feel free to serve without or with another fruit you like.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share it with our friends.
Flourless Chocolate Tart
** serves 8 – 10 people
- 12 oz good-quality bittersweet chocolate
- 8 oz + 2 tablespoons good quality unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a tart pan with 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler; set aside to cool.
- In a mixer bowl, using a whisk attachment, beat the butter until creamy; about 4 minutes. Add the sugar, continue to beat for another 3 minutes. Add the sifted cocoa powder, beat for 3 minutes. Drizzle the melted chocolate into the mixture, with the mixer running at a very low speed, I use a KitchenAid and keep the speed at 2.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla. Beat the mixture for 5 minutes, until very light and doubled in size.
- Pour into the buttered tart pan. Tap on the counter to release the air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While the tart is baking stir together the creme fraiche and brown sugar; put in the fridge until time to serve.
- Remove from the oven and set on a cooling rack.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, then remove from the tart pan.
- Let sit at room temperature until ready to serve.
Recipe: Candied Cranberries