After drooling all over the computer screen a couple weeks back when I saw what Alice did with chicken tenders, I knew I had to make them. She made these lightly Coconut Crusted Chicken Tenders for her daughters’ birthday party and if a bunch of gigg8-year-olds loved them, I knew we would, too.
I loved that she used coconut in the breading; why, had I never thought of that? I decided to take her basic concept and spice it up a bit by adding red chilies and fresh basil to the seasoning as well I left out the orange juice. It was slightly spicy but not over the top, your kids will still like it. The peanut sauce was a great compliment to the sweet coconut and hot chilies. Serve with a cucumber salad and you have a perfect meal.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Coconut Chicken Tenders
*recipe idea from Savory Sweet Life
- 1 lb chicken tenders, free range/organic
- 1 cup panko
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 red chilies, minced
- fresh basil, a handful, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper
- peanut oil, for frying
- Peanut Sauce
- Wash the chicken and pat dry.
- Mix the egg and milk in a dish.
- Combine, the panko, coconut, chilies, basil, salt and pepper, mix well.
- Heat the peanut oil in a shallow frying pan, about 1/2 inch up the side.
- Dip a chicken tender in the egg mixture, coat with panko mixture and gently pan fry in the peanut oil.
- Continue with all the tenders.
- When you remove the tender from the hot oil, lay the tenders on a paper towel, in a warm oven.
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Mix everything in a bowl until smooth.
** makes about 2 cups of salad
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Place the sugar, lime juice and vinegar in a non-metallic bowl and stir until dissolved.
- Add the cucumber, carrot, red onion and toss well to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Serve with chicken tenders.