This easy dinner is an Italian version of Cordon Bleu; chicken thighs stuffed with parmesan cheese, wrapped with prosciutto, and then lightly pan-fried. I received the first magazine of the wonderful gift subscription of Donna Hay, that I received from MEM for Christmas. I love Donna. This was the first recipe I turned to was this one for Chicken wrapped in Prosciutto, and I knew I had to make it immediately!
Tonight I made a simple chicken thigh recipe. I followed Donna’s idea but changed it up a bit, just a little bit.
Instead of lightly rolling the thighs and sprinkling with Parmesan cheese on them; I pounded them until thin and the rolled Parmesan cheese in the middle before wrapping them with Prosciutto and pan-frying.
The chicken came out very moist and flavorful and slightly salty. This dish reminded me of an Italian version of Cordon Bleu. I served the chicken exactly as Donna suggested, with a simple tomato and basil salad.
Do you read Donna Hay? If you love beautiful food and simple recipes, you should. The photography throughout her books will have you drooling all over. Every recipe will amaze you every time.
Recipe: Chicken wrapped in Prosciutto
* serves 4
- 4 chicken thighs, trimmed
- 3/4 cup shaved Parmesan
- 4 slices of prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves
- olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sea salt, and cracked pepper
- Place the chicken between 2 sheets of waxed paper and flatten by pounding.
- Put shavings of Parmesan cheese in the middle of the thigh and tightly make them into a roll.
- Wrap the chicken with the prosciutto.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over high heat.
- Cook the chicken for 3 – 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Place the tomato and basil in a bowl, drizzle with extra oil and vinegar and toss to combine.