Recession/Depression Dinner Series # 15: An easy Vegetarian Dish using Farfalle, Golden Beets, Beet Greens, and Pinenuts.
I cannot believe it has been already been another full week to our recession proof meals. Tonight’s dinner ended on a high note with a recipe from Bon Appetit’s February issue which was all about 50 easy ways to eat Green. It is was a pasta dish and I loved this recipe as it was all about not wasting right down to recycling the water that you used for cooking. I am not going to tell you much about the process of making it as I want you to check out the recipe, but I will say that we both loved the end result it was sweet from the beets and nutty from the toasted pine nuts, a really great combination – kind of like our relationship, I am sweet and Lenny is nutty!
As well I have attached a little podcast we did tonight. It is a recap of our recession dinner series and what to look forward to this week. It is our first so be kind. We hope you enjoy!
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Farfalle with Golden Beets, Beet Greens, & Pine Nuts
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bunches golden beets with fresh healthy greens; beets peeled, each cut into 4 wedges, greens cut into 1 inch wide strips
- 12 ounces farfalle pasta
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Heat heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil and onions to the same skillet and saute until beginning to soften and turn golden about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to saute until onions are tender and browned, about 30 minutes longer. Add garlic and stir 2 minutes. Scatter beet greens over onions. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil over; cover and cook until beet greens are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook beets in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beets to a medium bowl. Return water to boil. Add pasta to beet cooking liquid and cook until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
- Stir onion-greens mixture and beets into pasta. Add pasta cooking liquid by 1/3 cupfuls to moisten. Season with salt and coarsely ground black pepper. Stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Divide pasta among shallow bowls. Sprinkle with pine nuts.