We have been digging or should I say grubbing on these Moroccan chicken kabobs since we first made them during a camping trip we took in May. They are a party in your mouth, and a crowd pleaser!
I started working on this recipe when the folks at Tillamook surprised us with a delivery of their Farmstyle Greek Yogurt. We are big Greek yogurt fans for eating as well as to cook with; but, I have to say they have really outdone themselves with this yogurt. It is ultra creamy, and not overly tangy. That just drives me crazy when a Greek yogurt is too tangy or tart. The texture is thick making it great for baking as well as this marinade that has been inspired by a longing to go to Morocco.
I seasoned this marinade with lots of harissa as well as a smoky paprika and some fresh ginger and cilantro. It is rather thick, almost paste-like, which is great as it really hangs onto the chunks of chicken. Yogurt is a great base for marinades as not only does it add flavor, but it makes the meat moist. The chicken did not dry out at all during grilling.
While this recipe was amazingly cooked over a campfire, it is just as good when you use your home grill! Serve with cucumber salad, hummus, and flatbread to make a complete and light summer meal.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Moroccan Chicken Kabobs
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small knob of ginger (about 1/4 of the size of my thumb)
- 1 tablespoon powdered harissa
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup Tillamook farm-style greek yogurt
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 lemons, cut in half
- medium red onion
- large cherry tomatoes
- Place all ingredients except for the chicken and lemons into a food processor, blend until mixed well.
- Place the chicken cubes into a large glass bowl or Ziploc bag, add the chicken cubes and coat well. Either cover the bowl or close the Ziploc and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat the grill to 425.
- Cut the red onion into equal pieces.
- Skewer the chicken cubes, red onion, and cherry tomatoes onto the skewers.
- Place skewers on grill; cook for 3 – 5 minutes, then flip.
- Place the lemon halves onto the grill, and cook until caramelized and golden.
- Cook the skewers another 5 – 8 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve on a platter and squeeze some of the warm lemon juice over the top.