Amy Stafford is the voice behind the amazing lifestyle and fitness blog, A Healthy Life for Me. She is a wife, mother to two strapping young men as well as a flock of chickens and bees. We met Amy purely by accident while peeking in on one of her home-cooking HOAs with G+. Her warm and witty personality brought us in, and we reached out about joining our online video for foodie group. Since those early days, her how-to-make videos which are fresh, healthy and easy have completely wowed us. When not working in her garden or cooking healthy meals, she can be found traveling and hitting the gym or yoga. Wait until you see her amazing video series featuring easy workouts you can do on the road; they are called H.I.I.T. It. You can find Amy on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, and G+.
I am so excited to be over here at Chez Us sharing my turkey taco lettuce wraps. I know that when most people think of tacos they think of a soft or crunchy shell or both. However, the clan over here at A Healthy Life For Me has been trying to cut out Gluten, so I have been becoming a bit creative with our dinnertime.
When Denise asked if I would contribute to Chez Us Taco Tuesday, I was pretty stoked because I had been playing around with this recipe, trying to come up with a dish that had enough flavor that you wouldn’t miss the shell and enough spice to please the old hubby without sending me to the water faucet to put out the fire in my mouth.
Then I had an epiphany when I was making my blueberry corn salad. I realized by adding the sweet raw corn it would balance out the kick of the spicy pepper and voila my turkey taco lettuce wraps were born. Well, not really, but you get the gist.
If you’re not worried about gluten, don’t hesitate to use a nice soft or crunchy taco shell in this recipe. Really what makes a great taco is the stuffing, not the shell.
Thank you for joining us at the Chez Us table; we love having you here.
Have you made this recipe? Please share what recipes you are enjoying from our site with us – we’d love to see them. Use the hashtag #chezuseats on social media channels, then we can pull a chair up to your virtual table and share with our friends.
Turkey Taco Wraps
**Serves 4 people
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 pound ground turkey 80%/20%
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 2 Serrano or jalapeno peppers, stem removed and minced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ear of sweet corn, removed from husk (I used tri-color corn)
- 2-3 radish, trimmed and shredded
- 1 avocado, skinned and cut into large dice
- ¼ cup of feta cheese, crumbled
- Head of Bibb lettuce (or taco shells of your choosing) cut end of the head of lettuce and break apart to use leaves as shells
- Add all ingredients together in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside
- In a large non-stick pan over medium add coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Once heated add onion and peppers and stir to coat. Cook until onion is translucent about 4-6 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir to coat.
- Add turkey, breaking up and stir to combine. Cook until turkey is no longer pink 7-8 minutes.
- Add seasoning and stir to coat. Once turkey is coated with seasoning remove from heat.
- Add beans and corn to pan and combine.
- Top each shell with a spoon of turkey topping off with shredded radish, crumbled feta and diced avocado.
- I like to serve family style, placing everything on the table and letting my family make their own. Enjoy!