Emily Caruso is a photographer, writer, recipe developer, wife and mom to two kiddos who is always cooking up something that is not only delicious but easy enough for the every-day home cook to make, over at her amazing site Jelly Toast. Such as this delicious recipe for Breakfast Fajita Tacos – we have had twice this week! We first met Emily during the MIXED Conference last fall, and instantly were drawn to her spunky personality, charming wit and amazing creative side. The last year has been a joy getting to know her more, and to see how she has grown within the video shooting community. You can find Emily on Twitter, FaceBook , YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram and G+.
Hi there! I’m quite excited to be over here at Chez Us sharing one of my new favorite breakfast recipes that just so happens to be taco-ish. I had a hard time deciding if these were fajitas, tacos or a combination of both. Either way, I thought they would be a good fit for Denise and Lenny’s Taco Tuesday. It’s funny, because this recipe came about, as most great recipes of mine do, by accident.
Summer has been flying along at a rapid pace and despite my best efforts to plan out each day to make the most of my kids’ vacation, there have been countless missed opportunities and unexpected changes. It was on one such unexpected free morning that I was scouring the kitchen for something to make for breakfast, dreading pulling out cold cereal for third day in a row, and my eyes locked in on the bags of mini bell peppers in my fridge. Yes, two. I have a weird compulsion for buying these little peppers because they’re just so cute. I am most definitely one of those people who gets wrapped up in the “cuteness” of food.
Anyway, I figured fajita style peppers and onions on top of some perfectly scrambled eggs would make a pretty tasty, not to mention simple, breakfast. At the last minute, I decided to pile everything onto a soft flour tortilla turning these into breakfast fajita tacos. This breakfast was positively scrumptious and it’s been one that I’ve made several times since, even once for dinner. We are HUGE eggs for dinner people and have eggs for dinner at least once a week.
With a dash of hot sauce for the adults and some ketchup for the kids, these Breakfast Fajita Tacos made the entire family happy and in turn, made me very happy. Here’s to the rest of summer and all of the unexpected food and fun that comes with it!
Happy Taco Tuesday!
Breakfast Fajita Tacos
For Fajita Veggies:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 10 mini sweet bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
For Scrambled Eggs:
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 flour tortillas
- chives, chopped
- hot sauce
1. Heat canola oil in a large cast iron skillet set over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook, sitrring frequently, until beginning to soften. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, whole milk, salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/low heat and add butter. When butter is melted add eggs and cook slowly, stirring frequently until eggs are creamy, but cooked through.
4. Divide eggs between the flour tortillas and top with the fajita vegetables. Garnish with chopped chives and top with hot sauce, if desired. Enjoy!