Whenever I workout in the morning I crave protein in a big way, and a bowl of yogurt will not do the trick. I immediately dash home, make coffee, kiss Lenny, shower and then whip up breakfast. A favorite protein rich breakfast are tacos, especially these chorizo potato breakfast tacos.
Breakfast tacos are so easy to make, as well they are incredibly versatile. Our breakfast tacos usually are made with whatever leftovers are in the fridge, such as precooked beans, lentils or roasted vegetables. Very so often, I toss in some meat, such as chorizo. Chorizo just happens to be a staple in this Portuguese/Basque home. We even have a chorizo section in the freezer; yes, we are weird.
When I get a hunkering for these tacos, I usually precook some fingerling potatoes the night before, to make breakfast quick and easy. Fingerlings are great because they are small, cook quickly, and you do not need too many of them of fill up your tortillas. While the chorizo is cooking, I make up a little salsa out of cilantro, onion and lime juice, as it adds a lovely freshness to the tacos, and puts that morning skip in your day!
Recipe: Chorizo Potato Breakfast Tacos
** makes 2 hearty breakfast tacos
- 8 fingerling potatoes, precooked the day before, sliced into small pieces
- 1 chorizo, casing removed, and crumbled
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion, either red or sweet white
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- sprinkle salt
- 2 tablespoons queso
- Place the chorizo in a large frying pan and cook over medium heat, for 5 minutes. Stirring with a spoon to break apart. If there is a lot of oil, pour off.
- Stir the potato slices into the chorizo. Set aside.
- While the chorizo is cooking, mix together the cilantro, onion, lime juice and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Scramble the eggs.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Place a small amount of chorizo/potato onto a tortilla, top with the scrambled egg and a little of the cilantro salsa. If you are using cheese, sprinkle 1 tablespoon over each taco.