Kind of funny to see a recipe for a Vegan Apple Tart over here isn’t it? Especially since we are both the farthest thing from vegan. I am going to start off by saying, don’t be afraid, this tart is amazing! Oh, if you are gluten-free, it is just that.
You may know that we were recently re-calibrating our bodies over the past two weeks. Now, this may seem like a funny statement, and I promise to write more about it, soon, but it was pretty awesome. One thing we did miss a little over the course of this journey was a little something sweet, but we didn’t give in. I did reward us by making this tart to celebrate making it two full weeks. What I love about this tart is there is no sugar, no dairy and no wheat, and it is still delicious. I love it so much that I am going to experiment with more sweet treats using the same principals. You see after two weeks we really didn’t miss any of those things.
Back to tarts. This tart is so easy to make, and it really is special. It was inspired by a recipe I found on Pinterest, which was developed by the Green Kitchen Stories. While I am sure their version is lovely, I wanted to change things around. I used fewer dates to sweeten the crust as my apples were so sweet, they didn’t really need anything else. Verdict … damn delicious crust. I didn’t use almond butter as I have been having a bit of a reaction to almond and peanut butters, so I made a vegan frangipane. I mean tarts are meant to have frangipane smothered on them, aren’t I, right? And it was so good, I was eating it by the spoonfuls. The apples were heavenly with a mildly sweet glaze of maple syrup and fruity olive oil, and the three components together were bliss. The perfect sweet bite to take you into fall. Trust me, and do something good for your body today, make this vegan apple tart.
Recipe: Vegan Apple Tart
4 4″ tart pans or tart rings
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 4 whole dates, pits removed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- pinch kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 small gala apples or your favorite baking apple
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a food processor add all of the tart dough ingredients. Blend until it comes together, about 2 minutes.
- Lightly coat each tart pan with a small amount of coconut oil. Place on a baking sheet.
- Equally divide the tart dough, and press into the pans.
- Pre-bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- While the crust is pre-baking, make the frangipane.
- In a food processor add the almonds and process until a fine flour texture is achieved.
- Add the maple syrup and coconut oil, and continue processing until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Spread the frangipane between the tarts.
- Slice apples into thin slices and place over the frangipane in a circular shape. Tuck the last apple under the first apple slice to complete the circle.
- Mix the maple syrup and olive oil together, then brush over the tops of the apples.
- Sprinkle with some cardamom.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until the apples are lightly golden brown.
- Best served warm.
Can’t get enough of this apple tart, then go nosh on these as well:
Simplest Apple Tart - Smitten Kitchen
Apple and Fig Tart - Clouds, Berries and Spice
Gluten Free Apple Crisp – Chez Us