I am a huge coleslaw fan. Lenny is not, because they are often store bought, and over sauced. This recipe for an Asian Inspired Coleslaw, is made at home quickly (I call it the 5 minute slaw) and lightly dressed. It changed his mind about coleslaw forever … I love being able to do that!
As I mentioned I often refer to this recipe as the 5 minute slaw, as it only takes about 5 minutes to make, whether it is Asian inspired or traditional. What makes this recipe such a snap to make? Using the food processor for slicing and grating the vegetables, from the cabbage to the cilantro. I use to slice everything thinly by hand, then one day it dawned on me to pull out the wizard of the kitchen. Quick and easy slaw in no time now, and I have never looked back.
I use red cabbage, carrots, red onion and cilantro for this coleslaw. The dressing is made out of mayonnaise, sesame oil and spicy sriracha. Doesn’t sriracha make everything taste better? And the toasty sesame oil really compliments the spiciness. Basically toss all of the dressing ingredients into a small jar, shake like a mad woman (or man) until combined, then set aside, while you prepare the vegetables. After the veggies are prepared toss with the dressing, and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. You want the flavors to mingle before serving.
I really like to serve this Asian Inspired Coleslaw with grilled beef or pork ribs, it is kind of like a marriage made in heaven. Sticky ribs and spicy slaw! It is also really fantastic served alongside a new favorite of ours the Grilled Pork Shumai Meatballs (recipe soon), which we cannot get enough of and have a feeling you will enjoy as well.
Recipe: Asian Inspired Cole Slaw
** serves 8
- 1 small red cabbage
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed clean and dried
- 1/2 small red onion
- handful of cilantro, washed and dried, leaves and tender part of stems
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sriracha (or more if you like it really spicy)
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Place the mayonnaise, sesame oil and sriracha into a small jar, cover with a lid and shake to mix.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Using a food processor, thinly slice all of the vegetables and cilantro.
- Place into a large salad bowl.
- Pour in the dressing, and toss with your clean hands.
- Sprinkle in the sesame seeds.