This years farmer’s markets are bursting with summer squash right now, and I am taking full advantage. I am still on my mission to find a recipe that Lenny enjoys uses using one of my favorites, zucchini. This recipe for grilled pork kabob fajitas brought him a little closer to at least liking summer squash.
This is another recipe that I recently developed for Old El Paso, and it is a spin on a traditional sizzling platter of fajitas. I used Old El Paso taco seasoning to create a marinade by adding fresh lemon juice and canola oil along with the seasoning. The pork sirloin marinades up to 4 hours and becomes very moist and flavorful. After the marinading process is over I threaded the pork with pieces of zucchini, red peppers and onions. Grilling the kabobs adds an extra depth of flavor with and even smoked flavor not only with the pork but also the farm fresh ingredients. Serve with fresh guacamole, sour cream and warm tortillas on the side.
Grilled Pork Kabob Fajitas
- 1 1/2 pounds of pork sirloin steak
- 1 packet Old El Paso taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- medium red pepper
- small red onion
- 4 small zucchini
- your favorite salsa
- sour cream
- warm tortillas
- Cut the meat into 24 pieces.
- Place the taco seasoning, canola oil and lemon juice in a large place zip bag. Seal, and shake until mixed throughly.
- Add the pork pieces to the marinade. Place in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours, and at least one hour. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the grill according to the directions that came with it, for high heat.
- Cut the vegetables into medium sized pieces, 12 pieces of each one, so that each kabob will have two onion, two red pepper and two zucchini pieces.
- Thread the meat and vegetables onto the skewers; there will be four pieces of meat to each one. Alternate between vegetables.
- Place the skewers on the grill.
- Grill for 15 minutes, turning often to prevent sticking and burning. You want a nice even golden color on the skewers.
- Remove from the heat and let set for 5 minutes.
- Serve with warm tortillas, guacamole, salsa and sour cream.