Homemade pasta is easier than you think. Trust me. When we started telling people that we were making pasta for dinner, then envisioned us slaving over the counter, mixing flour and eggs by hand, then kneading and cutting by hand. While that version is romantic and great for a rainy day, when we want dinner on the table, and we want it to be fresh pasta there is no time. That is where my trusty Kitchen Aid mixer and pasta attachments come in. Time savers or should I say life savers? We are going to show you how to make homemade pasta in a snap.
There really isn’t anything like fresh pasta, and once you get the hang of it, you will be making it in no time. We got hooked on fresh pasta after purchasing a hand cranking pasta machine during a trip to Montreal. We used it all the time until it gave out on us, after 10 uses. Complete bummer, right? Here, we were completely spoiled, and near pros, and no machine. We upgraded and purchased the pasta attachments to go along with our KitchenAid. In fact, we became so addicted to making all sorts of noodles, we then purchased their other pasta attachment. Guess you could say we are KitchenAid addicts.
When making fresh pasta I use either 00 flour or semolina. You can use all-purpose, but I do not find the pasta to get the right bite, instead it comes out kind of chewy. Therefore, I always keep both flours in the pantry, and both work great when making homemade pizza. Rest of the ingredients are staples (or should be) in your kitchen, olive oil, kosher salt, eggs and water. Pretty darn easy so far isn’t it?
Fresh pasta does not take as long to cook as packaged pasta. I cook the pasta in well salted water some chefs say the boiling water should taste like the sea, so be generous when salting the water. Literally, the pasta will not take that long to cook. For instance, the rigatoni only took about 4 – 5 minutes. Stay near by and test, once the pasta is al dente, drain it and toss with your favorite sauce or simply with a little olive oil and black pepper.
Recipe: Homemade Pasta
- 2 cups semolina flour or 00 flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the flour and salt into the mixing bowl of your mixer. Using the paddle attachment mix for about 30 seconds.
- Add the eggs, water and olive oil. Mix until the dough comes together. This should take a couple minutes.
- Switch to the dough hook and continue kneading for a couple minutes
- Lightly dust the kitchen counter with some flour. Lightly knead the dough with your hands and dust with the flour.
- Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Make the pasta using whatever your favorite pasta shape is. Refer back to Chez Us Homemade Pasta video to see how we make pasta.