This recipe for strawberry rhubarb compote is simple to make, and a great recipe to have in your back pocket. It is just so easy to make, plus it is really good to eat. I have a love and hate relationship with rhubarb and have written about it before. I can honestly say that with time my heart has grown fonder, and even more so since making this recipe. I can honestly tell you that I am now one of those people who anxiously await for rhubarb season to appear.
One of my favorite ways to cook with summer fruits besides enjoying as is is to roast them. This technique is especially perfect for those lingering berries that are begging to be eaten but are not quite 100% any more. I tend to roast strawberries often as we cannot seem to finish a half of a flat fast enough. It works beautifully so do not be afraid of ruining the fruit; it will only enhance it. And a plus is that the clean is minimal.
When presented with some spring time rhubarb recently, I decided to roast it alongside some sad strawberries. Roasting really brings out the flavor of the slightly bitter rhubarb, and jammy berries. Both were rather ripe so all that was needed was a little sugar along with some vanilla bean paste which was added at the very end. Roasting the rhubarb and strawberries will break them down, and all you will need to do is stir well before serving. Simple isn’t it?
Some of the many ways to enjoy this recipe besides eating it by the spoonful is to use it with desserts or breakfast. I like to serve the roasted strawberry rhubarb compote over warm vanilla pudding, or alongside a thick slice of angel food cake. It is also wonderful drizzled over ice cream or stirred into thick Greek yogurt. Or how about serving with brunch pancakes or waffles.
More recipes that use strawberry and rhubarb together; they sound delicious.
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – Smitten Kitchen
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp – Cookie and Kate
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam – Food in Jars
- Rustic Strawberry Rhubarb Tart – Savory Sweet Life
- Strawberry Rhubarb Ice Cream – Savory Simple
- Rhubarb Strawberry Empanada – Laylita’s Recipes
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
- 4 large stalks of rhubarb
- 2 pints of strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Wash the rhubarb, pat dry, and cut into large pieces.
- Wash the strawberries, and remove the stems. Cut into half pieces
- Place the strawberries and rhubarb into a glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the top.
- Bake for 45 – 60 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes. The mixture will come together, and be slightly bubbly. Do not let it burn or over brown. It will smell slightly like caramel and jam.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the vanilla bean paste.