I have a feeling this recipe for Zucchini Mascarpone Cheese Flatbread is going to become a regular habit at Chez Us….
Have you noticed a huge increase of vegetable inspired dishes lately? We have been trying to eat more of a vegetarian diet, which I find kind of challenging. The reasoning is that most vegetarian recipes seem to have the addition of pasta and/or cheese added to them. That becomes challenging as we are also trying to cut back on dairy, or at least Lenny is trying to. For instance, this recipe for Zucchini Mascarpone Cheese Flatbread was tried out few times, with and without the creamy cheese. Both ways were great, but the cheese-less version was rather boring. YAWN. Lucky for you (and for us) I had a little left over mascarpone cheese, and I added it to the recipe. WOWZA!
One staple that can always be found in our freezer is homemade pizza dough. Not enough to feed a family, just enough for a light lunch or dinner, or maybe an appetizer. It is definitely a good item to have on hand, when you are milling around in the morning and wondering what you can make. Grab it out of the freezer, and by the time you are ready to cook, the dough it ready for you.
When I was making this recipe for Zucchini Mascarpone Cheese Flatbread, Lenny wanted to know what the difference was between pizza and flatbread. I didn’t know the answer (and I still don’t) so I said … this is just flatbread! When I make “flatbread” I like to roll it into a thin rectangle as to not confuse it with a pizza. I lightly precook it on an indoor grill pan before topping with the goodness. I really enjoy biting into the slightly charred grilled marks, and it adds a lovely smokey taste. Then I smear the baked flatbread with the mascarpone cheese, and using a vegetable peeler I add ribbons of fresh zucchini. Just before baking I sprinkle the top with smoked pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Simple dinner for Meatless Monday, just add a crisp green salad to go along with it, and it will make a complete meal.
Try out some of these other great zucchini flatbreads:
- Zucchini Flatbread with Roasted Tomatoes and Pine Nuts – Artisan Bread in Five
- Cheesy Zucchini and Red Onion Flatbread – Culinary Crumbs
- Zucchini and Sausage Flatbread – Good Life Eats
Recipe: Zucchini Mascarpone Cheese Flatbread
- pizza dough, premade
- 5 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 2 small shallots, finely minced
- 2 small zucchini, washed and patted dry
- maldon salt
- smoked paprika
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Preheat a stove top griddle pan.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle.
- Place the dough on the griddle pan. Lightly cook over medium low heat for 5 – 7 minutes, flip and repeat. You only want to cook it enough to add browned marks to the dough.
- Remove the dough and place it on a cookie sheet.
- Mix the shallots with the mascarpone cheese. Smear over the top of the bread.
- Using a vegetable peeler, scatter ribbons over the top of the mascarpone cheese. Covering the entire area.
- Lightly drizzle with some olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the salt and paprika.
- Lightly grate some parmesan cheese over the top. As much or as little as you like.
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool for 3 minutes.